chapter 18- wedding day

pov: mark

"i'm nervous, derek," i whispered.
"you're gonna be fine mark. you love lexie and god knows she loves you. just don't pull a burke!" he joked.
"believe me if i had cold feet i would've backed out a long time ago," i said being serious. then his mom burst through the door.
"i thought i'd never live to see the day!" she exclaimed. "mark sloan is getting married. truly a miracle!" i hugged her and kissed her on the cheek. shortly after meredith walked in. derek kissed her and i looked at her.
"she's here and in the dress and everything. it's all good mark," she told me.
"thank you meredith," i hugged her and she looked at me.
"you hurt her and i will kill you."

pov: lexie

"i'm gonna fall. i'm gonna fall on my face and embarrass myself and embarrass all of you and mark. there's no way this goes the way i planned. or what if my dress rips..." i just kept talking.
"lexie... you're rambling again. look you're gonna be fine. mark is a great guy and he loves you. you're not gonna trip so don't worry about it," jo reassured me.
"ehh you never know. she could fall flat on her face in the middle of the aisle, that would be funny," cristina chimed in.
"cristina!" jo and meredith yelled in unison.
"what i'm just trying to be realistic!" cristina laughed.
"actually it kind of help, thanks cristina," i sighed.
"anytime!" she joked.

it was almost time for me to go out. i had asked derek to walk me down the aisle because my dad was drinking again.
"you ready?" he asked as he reached his arm out.
"as i'll ever be," i sighed and smiled.

pov: mark

i looked over at callie and owen as the doors opened. they nodded and zola and sofia sprinkled flowers through the aisle. next meredith, cristina, and jo made their way to the altar and stood in their positions. then the music changed, i saw derek and lexie begin to walk down the aisle. she looked so perfect, her dress fit her body exactly how it should. i'm sure all she could think about was the fact that she was probably gonna fall.

pov: derek

"don't trip. don't trip. don't trip." i heard lexie whisper.
"you're not gonna trip," i reassured her.
"you don't know that," she smirked back.
"oh, but i do," i sighed. then we got to the alter.

pov: mark

as the priest went through the ceremony all i could think about was the vows. finally it was my turn to speak. "i love you lexie. before i met you i was a whore. i slept around and i just wasn't down for commitment. then you came into my hotel room and the rest is history. we've been through so much but we went through it together. you make me a better person, and when i thought i lost you in that plane crash, my world almost ended. don't you get it, lexie? you are my world." now for lexie.

pov: lexie

as mark spoke i had to fight back the tears. how could i be so lucky in life to get him? i felt my smile grow large and the tears roll down my cheeks. then it was my turn.

"i thought i wasn't ready for this. for marriage, to be a wife. still sometimes i don't think i am or that i can't handle but then i look at you. i look at you and all of those doubtful thoughts disappear. it's like i'm infected by mark sloan, though i'm not complaining. when i almost died you were there, looking at me and telling me that i was gonna be okay. you believe in me and see me when i don't or can't see myself. i need you to survive." i took a breath. i've been practicing that for too long.

the priest spoke again. "do you alexandra caroline grey take mark everett sloan to be your lawfully wedded husband through sickness in health, good times and bad, and whatever new catastrophe comes your way?"
"i do," i smiled.

pov: mark

"do you mark everett sloan take alexandra caroline grey to be your lawfully wedded wife through sickness and health, good times and bad, and whatever new catastrophe comes your way?"
"i do," i laughed. we both looked over to the priest waiting for the go ahead.
"i now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss the bride!" immediately i kiss lexie, longingly. i kissed her like never before.