Chapter 27

Abigail sat with Joshua on a barrel drinking rum. They stared out into the sea lost in thought. Neither one really acknowledged what they were thinking about until a person interrupted the familiar blackness of the sea.

"I have a proposition," said the person, who was Jack. "I have two ships and I can only captain one. Although that ships beaut," he motioned towards it. "She's not the Pearl. I'm not just gonna give up me ship to anyone, so I thought why not to a daughter and son-in-law. You can have her if you promise to let me see my daughter everyone once in a while. Savvy?" He finished his speech looking at Joshua.

He smiled. "Agreed." He shook his hand on the deal.

Abigail was excited about their new life. They would have there own boat to do whatever they wanted. She didn't know what Joshua had in mind, but thought going with papa to find whatever he was looking for at the time sounded like the life she wanted to live.

She jumped down from the barrel and went to find her father. He was talking to a group and she waited until they finished their conversation to start one with him. "When you go searching for pirate hearts, or fountain of youths, or special ships you will invite us won't you?"

He grinned. "Wouldn't have it any other way. What do you think I meant by see my daughter?"

Abigail could have jumped up and down in excitement. Everything was finally back on track ever since she learned of her parents. Her birth parents were married and happy, she was set to marry and be happy, her father seemed okay with her sailing the Caribbean. What was left?

Abigail jumped back on the barrels singing to herself. It drew the attention of her fiancé. "You seem happy."

She smiled. "It's because I am."

______________

Jack pulled Gibbs to the side to talk to him. "I say after we get the lovebirds married and Abigail's father back in Port Royal we find Barbossa. I think I know whe...."

He was interrupted. "I'm fine sailing with you. Been doing it for a few years now."

"You sure?"

"As long as I'm first mate."

Jack shrugged the peculiarity off. There was nothing more than he wanted to be captain of the Black Pearl. Maybe that was it. Maybe that's why Gibbs didn't want his own ship. The Pearl just calls a man.

He changed his course from going where he suspected Barbossa would be to Port Royal. They arrived early the next morning just before daybreak. Jack with Joshua personally hurried into town to get Abel Swann. He hurriedly knocked on the door as the town started to light up from the sun. He told the judge to make his change of clothes quick and they went back to the Black Pearl to see if the bride was dressed and ready.

_______________

Abigail stood inside the captains quarters in a dress for the first time in weeks. Her mother was behind her and lifted a necklace over her head and fastened it. She shook with nervousness.

Angelica smiled and shook her head. She hadn't been that nervous, but she knew Jack more than anyone and was older than the young couple. She dropped her hair over the piece of jewelry. "It was your great-grandmothers necklace," she told the bride.

"My great-grandmother how?"

"My mothers mother."

Abigail sat in Jack's chair. "You've never told me about anyone in your family except your father. Tell me about your mother and grandmother."

"I was born in a little town in Spain. I lived alone with my mother." Angelica sat down on the floor. "I never saw much of my father. He'd show up every now and then drunk, but that was rare. My grandfather passed when my mother was expecting me I was told. When I was 4 my mother died of a terrible disease. My grandmother thought I was to young to really understand and never told me what it was. I went to live with her for a year before she died and to this day I don't know what took my mothers life."