r

Moses

Locking the door behind me, I gulped down the bottle of water I'd been holding before sitting in my car.

When my phone began to ring I slid the device out my pocket, not bothering to fix the stank look that crossed my face when I seen who'd been calling.

"What Mal," I answered.

Clipping my phone into its holder and sliding my seatbelt against my body, I cranked my car up. When I looked back up, Malaki's eyes had been the only thing covering the entirety of the screen before he began speaking, "Where you at? Where you finna go?"

I licked my lips, "On my way to Moms. Why?"

Malaki cheesed, "Perfect," he told and clapped his hands together a single time. When he pushed his finger against the tip of his nose and showed me the inside of his nostrils, I shook my head, not bothering to ask why or say anything at all. "Since you already headin' over there can you pick Three up? He asked me to ask you since he don't got your number and he need a ride."

I hummed, using a thumb to rub at my jaw. "Yeah aight." I agreed, saying, "Give him my number and send me the address." And as I reached to end the call, I paused as Mal yelled, "Hold up! I got some shit to tell you."

Glancing at him, I swiped away the message at the top of my screen and began to drive, having already been familiar enough with the area that I didn't need GPS.

Malaki set his phone up against something in what I recognized to be his kitchen and I tucked my lip between my teeth, "What is it?" I questioned. He smacked his lips and threw himself back in his chair, rolling his eyes. "I've been deceived." He told, huffing. "And now I don' got in some shit."

At the sound of his words, I frowned, blowing out a short laugh through my nose because of course he did. This is Malaki talking. He was always getting in some shit.

I just barely shook my head as he continued. "Remember that fight at the shop I told you about?"

I nodded. "What about it?"

Malaki exaggeratedly threw his hands up in the air, a goofy grin on his face. "Whole time it was cause I was homewrecking!" He slapped his hands against the table and pushed up, moving to stand behind his chair as he spoke with wide eyes filled with disbelief, hunching over. "I ain't even know though! I was just tryna get freaky with a lil twinky but whole time he had a nigga at the store pickin' up bread." He scrunched his face.

I couldn't help the snicker I let out.

"It ain't funny, Moses! I was fucking in the bed and he don't even know! Well he do now cause I told him, but still!"

I curled my lip. "That's triflin', Mal."

He snorted, "Shit, you don't gotta tell me! I almost apologized to the man till he showed up at the old man's spot on crack. And Three stupid as hell so he wasn't finna make it no better." Walking away, I heard the refrigerator door open and close. A bag of chips ruffled loudly through the speaker for a couple seconds before he returned with a cup of juice in his hand and a small bag of Cheetos in his other.

Malaki sat in his chair, stuffing his face. "On crack?" I asked.

He nodded, "His mama strung out and he a crack baby. Shoulda seen his face when I brought it up." Mal crackled.

I licked my lips, "Quit starting shit, Mal. Them niggas is to stay away from the shop, you hear?"

He waved me away, crumbs falling onto the table from his lips, "I got it handled."