At peace

I wake up from an unknown cause opening my eyes and staring at what's above me. I sat up and looked around checking to see if it was because of something in the environment. I looked around and nothing appeared out of place though my eyes were still adjusting to being awake. I listened carefully checking if I could hear anything but no. It was silent and nothing out of the ordinary was there and nothing had fallen. It was the same boring room I had fallen asleep in decorated in blues, reds and gold.

I take a deep breath and let myself fall back into my pillows rolling onto my stomach trying to go back to sleep still feeling tired. I end up almost drifting off before I hear something fall with a thud onto the floor. It makes me jump up to see it was only my sword I had carelessly placed against the wall crookedly.

I groan to myself knowing I probably won't get back to sleep now and that it'd be better to just get up as a glance at the time said I was only an hour from being woken anyway.

I toss the covers off of me and slide to the edge of the bed before pulling them back to the edge once I was standing. I debated picking up the sword or leaving it and decided it didn't matter either way and went to dress myself.

I never liked the clothes I had to wear as they were tight and inconvenient at times. Though I guess I couldn't say anything as this is roughly what generations of royals before me wore.

I cut off my own small rant and focus on other things. I had time to burn a few hours even if I came up with a good enough reason for not being able. Though even that might not be necessary. I have no important meetings and people rarely come to me first for anyone unless it s extremely important. And it's not like I can leave the castle really anyways so there's a limited amount of places I could be. Though what will I go do..

"I could go see the hellhounds." I found myself saying aloud. I surprised myself a bit with it but brushed it off grabbing my sword, putting it in its sheath and being off.

I didn't want to bring it but I was supposed to just incase and it did serve the purpose of defense so it wasn't completely useless. As I left my room closing the door I spotted my friend down the hall also leaving his room in full gear. He didn't notice me as I made my way over.

"Hey Ra-tir" I said with a smile.

He turned to me like he was caught doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing. "Oh uh hi. Why are you up? It's a bit early to be doing much of anything.."

"I could say the same to you. What are you going off to do?"

"Oh uh. I can't tell you. Not because i don't want to but because i've been told not to. And that's not because I don't-"

"-I get it. It's fine that you can't tell. Though if you have time to spare i was going down to see the hellhounds." I motioned down the hall in the direction I was planning on going.

"Oh uh. I don't.. maybe another time.. I really do have to go though." He started backing up a bit away from me before I nodded with a smile and he was off.

We never really had time where both of us had nothing to do so I understood the need to be off in a hurry. I started down the hall towards my destination.

Once I got there and entered the guarded door that led to the hounds I saw many faces turn towards the door looking at me. Me, my brothers and dad were the only ones allowed alone in this room and even then with Aron it was a stretch for him to be alone.

The hounds came over all greeting me gently for their enormous size compared to me. They towered over even dad so that was always impressive to me how gentil they could be.

I gave as many as possible pets and most of them went back to what they had been doing whether that be lounging around or playing. The youngest ones didn't lose interest in me quickly jumping around me and one even picking me up to place on another's back. They ran around playing with me being quite careful most of the time.

Eventually most of them are tired and lay down to take naps and with another check of the time I still have a couple hours to burn.. one of them had taken a liking to me and had for a while. I really wanted to get away from this stupid castle I was confined to most of the time. Though this idea was not overly safe it would be entertaining. It's not like anyone is going to actively seek me out at this hour.

After a few minutes of deciding I went against what I knew was safe and called a specific hound with a whistle. I was going to ride her away from the castle. Even if that meant I'd be in trouble I always seemed to find interesting thing to bring back when I wandered off.

She came over placing her face in front of me pressing it into me affectionately before laying down for me to get on. I grabbed some of the longer fur on her neck and gave the signal for her to go. I never really chose where I went even though the creature would obey. I always found where she brought me to be the most interesting.

We went far enough that the castle was the only distinguishing detail of the city I could make out and in front of me spanned what seemed like infinite space. Though around me Hopped what people often referred to as death rabbits they didn't bother me as I was too high up and most things knew better than to mess with a hound. She brought me to a little cave-like opening that I could sit in and she sat in front of the entrance like a guard.

In the mouth of the opening where I sat there was one of the few examples of non hostile life in Thonad. Little glowing creatures that were often wary of anything that came near seemed to not mind demons though that might just be me as I look very non threatening. Some of them settled near me giving off a small comforting glow. I was at peace here. No duties. No Father. No being a prince. Just existing relatively peacefully alone with a hound and these fluff balls of faint light. Oh how I longed to stay here forever never needing to return..