A Stranger

Curtis had told his children Ellen and Joe about Ellie and everything she had done to help him survive and see he got safely to Jackson.
He had told Maria everything Ellie had done for him. Dina had found him and asked where Ellie was, when Curtis had told her she had sacrificed herself it had broken Dina. Dina had asked why he named his children Ellen and Joe, Curtis had said it was as close to Ellie and Joel as he could get. Dina had guessed so but just wanted to ask, needed to ask.
Curtis had met Tommy, who had lost Joel, his wife and two nieces now. He told Curtis many stories about Ellie and Curtis had reciprocated in kind.
By the time J.J. was twenty, Curtis ' own kids were in their teens, Joe (17) and Ellen (18), mothered to a kind woman called Avril, though she and Curtis were no longer together they remained friends.
Ellie was remembered fondly in people's hearts.
She had posthumously been made Ellen and Joe's godmother, Dina and Tommy and Maria gratefully taking on the other roles as godparents in Ellie's absence. Tommy and Maria were still civil although they didn't interact with each other much anymore.
Dina introduced them to great music, especially what she and Ellie had listened to, if there was a party, it was at Dina's.
Maria as ever was firm but fair, respected immensely and always had time for them. She made sure they understood that bad things happened but having people by your side through the tough times was important and should never be taken for granted.
Tommy was the endless storyteller, filling the kids heads with dreams and adventures.
Rich became that 'cool uncle' the kids could turn to as well. He offered the goofiness that everyone needed at times.
Rich who had ended on bad terms with Ellie was genuinely sad to see his friend (yes she would always be his friend) had never returned and really had just become a memory. He and Curtis would do patrols together and become drinking buddies.
J.J. Ellen and Joe were close friends. A blossoming relationship with Ellen and J.J. was on the cards.
Tommy had gotten a lot older and was finding it hard to get by. Curtis was always there for him, like Ellie had been for him. It wasn't easy but he wouldn't let Tommy down. Ellie had instilled loyalty into him.
These people remembered Ellie with a grave and every year since; Dina, Tommy, Rich, Curtis and the kids made an evening get together to remember Ellie, Joel and Jesse. Maria would stop by to see how everyone was doing before getting on with the endless routines of keeping the town in check.
One afternoon Alwaleed, Ashley and Marianna paid a visit, stayed the night, shared their stories of Ellie then left the next day. They were sad to hear of Jane's death and Lance's disappearance, they were remembered too for everything they had done.
Dina had told Curtis he and Jesse would have been close friends.
She had also told Curtis the truth about Abby and why her and Ellie split. She wanted him to not think worse of Ellie for it. Curtis said he loved Ellie like a sister no matter what. This made Dina happy.

One evening in January 2059 a stranger was spotted near Jackson. There seemed to be something strange about them, they had been hovering. Two patrols went looking but could find nothing, there were signs but whoever it was they were crafty.
But not long afterwards someone came to the front gate asking for entry, they were wearing a heavy raincoat and wearing a huge backpack with a guitar slung around their shoulder.
They were ushered inside at gun point, hands raised high.
Flashlights on the person, they were told to pull down their hood, slowly.
The person shouted "okay." Doing what they were told they pulled down their hood.
In the audience was Curtis, J.J. and Dina.
Curtis recognized who it was immediately.
"Ellie!" He shouted, he went straight to her. "It's you."
She looked at Curtis. "I finally took your advice and learned to play left handed, just for you, you sap." She handed him her guitar giving him a wink. "I'll teach you to play if you want kiddo."
Ellie's hair had got long and messy, she looked tired and had a scar above her right eyebrow.
Curtis laughed harder than he had ever done since coming to Jackson. He hugged Ellie tightly, she was genuinely surprised by this.
"It's Ellie!! Dammit it's Ellie!! She's alive!!" Curtis shouted.  Everyone lowered their guns. "I thought you'd died." His laughter quickly changing to tears.
"I almost did." She replied.
Ellie looked at Dina and the twenty year old J.J., they smiled at Ellie, Ellie smiled back returning Curtis' hug.