Chapter 1: Part 3

Guys I just made an amendment to last parts on their age... I was meant to write Ben just turned eighteen not seventeen... which means Devi will still be turning eighteen not seventeen. Sorry guys! Enjoy! ❤💕

----------------------------------------------------------
"Oh my god Ben!" She snaps, and groans so hard she believes her throat may hurt for over a week. "Did you... did you dare call my mum?! I... I..." She doesnt have words. She really doesnt. Or maybe she is trying really hard and refraining herself from blurt out things she may really regret later. This conversation could really get out of hand. It really could . Because, frankly, she is really seething with anger. She's literally probably the reddest shade of red she has ever been. "I am so... so angry... so so frustrated with you right now, I can not put into words how I feel! Because... seriously? You... you just have no right!" She snaps. And Ben is glad they are over the phone and not talking in person, because right now, his not exactly sure how he would survive her or this situation right now.
"Devi, listen..." He rasps, feeling his heart race faster in his chest as he thinks of what to say. And he really does need to think his words carefully. He doesn't want her blowing things out of proportion. He doesnt want her exploding out things that would truely make things more worse between them later. "I didnt- I didnt call her... I can explain..." He stammers, but his mind is not thinking fast enough. He has a mental freeze, so he'll just works with the words that will come out... "And I understand your angry, b-but just think of it like this... we have one more year..."
The next thing he hears is the phone hang up. Shit, he swears to himself. But he wasn't lieing... He didnt call her mum. Her mother had called him. And whether the conversation may have merely taken a slightly different turn of direction because of him... because maybe he may have... suggested a few things... convinced her that the car was not Devi's fault... reminded her that they still had first semester grades to keep up... and final exams, as well as AP exams. Not to mention to keep up their various club attendance. He shuts his eyes for a few seconds, resting his face in his hand, propping his head up. They may have attained perfect marks for junior year, but... it still were no time to slack off... they still needed to apply for their colleges.
"Everything ok?" His dad asks, going through his brief case at his desk. Ben for those few minutes, almost forgot he were even there. He rolls his eyes to himself as he slumps over an office desk, and he does know his dad is just trying be polite... but he also knows his dad also doesn't actually really have the time to listen. Nor does he most likely really want to know about Ben's personal life. His a business man. Second, his a father. His just making conversation that will practically go nowhere. So Ben will put on his happy face, forcing a smile, and pretend that everything is basically just a.o.k. He spins his office chair to face him, and shrugs his shoulders.
"Yeah, that was nothing." He replies in a slightly awkward tone. Looking down at his phone quickly, he thinks of calling Devi back... but his also almost certain she wont pick up. Besides... his dad were doing a tour of his workplace and showing where Ben would be starting off with him the following weekend. Explaining to him also what were his expected duties. Simple administative office tasks... mainly tasks that would still need to go through him first for approval before they could be actually done or completed. It were an orientation of what his dad's work environment would expect of him. And Ben is only eigthteen, which his dad would obviously know (or he really hopes he does) so his days would be filled with the more simpler tasks, such as faxing and printing duties. His dad turns to him.
"So are we ready." He questions Ben with a wide grin. Ben smiles back, squares his shoulders and leans forward in his chair, as though to show he were ready.
"Yep. And sort of excited to learn about my new first job." He says before he gets up.
"That's the spirit champ." His dad replies patting his shoulder.
As he begins to grin back, his phone begins to vibrate in his pocket. Damn... is Devi calling him back now? She's clearly just going to be very angry with him and possibly just hang up with anything he would say... But if he ignores it?...
"Are you ok, son?" His dad asks, looking slightly puzzled. Ben watches him for a short while, eyes flickering over him as he thinks, before he replies with a soft scoff that indicated he were 'ok', shrugging his shoulders, and deciding not to pick up. He lets it continue to vibrate in his pocket until it suddenly stops, as he had been following his dad down the isle of cubicles toward a printing room. He then groans, feeling himself give in to the guilt pooling in his stomach, and then stops in his track.
"Hang on dad. Can I just take a minute?" He drawls, pulling his phone out of his pocket slowly. His dad turns and gazes at him suprised.
"Yeah, sure son. Don't take too long, because I will need to be on a flight tomorrow and need to be up early to meet one of my clients."
Ben nods, and quickly ducks out into the hallway, swiping for Devi's number. He calls and she picks up after a short while.
"Devi-"
"You Ben.. I can not believe you! Like seriously... what the hell were you thinking? Did you seriously think I would be ok with this?" She sputters angrily.
"Wait-"
"I mean, how would you feel if I called your dad and asked him not to give you a job? How would you feel?"
"Well... His my dad Devi... I dont think, personally, he would technically listen to you-"
She groans hard again in frustration.
"I seriously have no words... Just know you can't stop me from getting a job... and if you try... we... we would then be over!" She snaps.
"Devi! I didn't call her!" He tries again. "She called me, ok? She wanted to know if I ever needed a lift that she could try to help because of my arm and car and everything..." He takes a moment to breath. "She clearly has more manners than you." He tries to joke.
"Ben!" She growls.
"Ok, ok, ok!... I may have mentioned about... you know... how this year it would be... best to focus on getting into college too."
"But... You are working. And... I could include it in my college application that I work . But either way, how is it any different from what your doing. Or... how it remains to be any part of your business at all in the first place baffles me?!"
"Devi..." He drawls frustratedly. "Listen... ok? I.. I wont utter a thing anymore. But you cant fall behind. Because maybe I... I just want you in Harvard with me."
She takes a couple of deep breaths. Then sighs.
"I can't help but be upset with you. You've practically convinced my mum that I should not find work. And... And I just can't talk to you right now, ok?"
"Devi. Dont... dont hang up."
"Just maybe steer clear of me tomorrow? You don't want to mess with me right now."
"We have maths together tomorrow... How am I supposed to-"
But before he can finish his sentence, she has already hung up. Ben buries his head in his hands for a couple of seconds, feeling the thrumming of his head, before he slowly drags them down his face, frustratedly. He flinches at a sudden pain on his broken arm, then scrowls at it. And his reminded that his dad is probably still waiting on him, so he then picks himself up and heads out to find him. He'll just talk to Devi tomorrow, because she may be... less angry then.