Chapter 7

They are lucky. Just as they arrive at the restaurant there's a free table. It's right in front of the windows facing a busy New York street. People are milling around, going home from work or doing some last-minute grocery shopping. Eliza loves to people-watch so for a few minutes they sit in silence. Him watching her watching all the strangers milling around.

"As a child I always made up stories about all people in the street. Sometimes they were businessmen or teachers or on their way to a secret affair. I had a vivid imagination as a child." She laughs and sends him a small smile.

"You still do. At least in bed." He winks at her but the smile he sends her is genuine.

"That man in the brown coat with the black hat is a famous tech inventor on his way to a dinner meeting with some fancy company. He's flown in from Texas where his wife is a teacher and they have 2 little kids that he wants to spend more time with. That is also his reason for selling his company." She says and then points to a beautiful lady in a tight, red, knee length dress and a black mink fur. "She's not really anyone yet in the music industry but she's hoping to catch the eye of a producer to a cocktail party at the Waldorf's. And that lady over there." She trails off. "That's my mum." She quickly stands. "Sorry, I have to go say hi. Please order me a glass of red wine and a rare steak. I'll be right back." Then she leans in and kisses him on the cheek before hurrying out of the restaurant.

She bursts happily through the doors and yell "MUM!" Her mum is already looking at her and she smiles brightly. "My darling! Hi! We were just coming to surprise you when we'd had dinner." She hugs her mum and turns to her dad. "Hi dad. Please come inside and eat with us. I'm eating with Mike." She says and she sees the pleasant surprise in both of her parent's eyes.

"Long story but we're trying out this thing called a truce." She says and smiles shyly.

"Of course we'll eat with the two of you but are you sure we're not interrupting anything?" Her mum asks politely.

"No, mum. I've missed you guys. Come, come." She takes her parents hands and leads them inside the restaurant.

Mike smiles when he sees Eliza hugging two people outside the restaurant. Even if they didn't look so much like her, he would've known they are her parents just by looking at the happiness in her face. It's no secret that she loves her parents more than anything in the world.

Now she's leading her parents inside the restaurant and he's looking forward to seeing them again. He's met them twice before and they got along just great.

"Hi Mimi, hi Jack. Nice to see you again. Do we have the pleasure of you joining us this evening?" He says and shakes Jack's hand before kissing Mimi on both cheeks.

Mimi smiles happily. "You sure do. Our darling daughter her says that it's okay."

"Of course it is. The more the merrier." He smiles genuinely and Eliza sits down next to him whispering "Thank you, Mike."

"Anytime. I like your parents." He whispers back.

"So how are you Mike? Are you still saving lives every day?" Mimi sends him a proud smile.

Eliza sighs. She knows her mum thinks Mike would be the perfect son-in-law. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to invite them to dinner with her and Mike.

"Still trying to save everyone, yes." He laughs. "Just like your beautiful daughter."

Eliza kicks him softly over the shin and he turns his head towards her and winks at her.

"That's wonderful. We need more people like the two of you." Mimi beams proudly at her daughter.

"Mum." She flushes. "I'm not saving anyone. I'm just assisting the ones who save people."