Chapter 2

"So it's just me and you" Lana says to the little girl "by the way what's your name Sweety?"

The woman does not receive an answer and this did not surprise Lana, she was a complete stranger and among other things she had always been the nice aunt or for a short time a stepmother but she did not know how to fill the role of mother.

At that moment Lola approaches the little girl and starts licking her face, the little girl screams at first and then when she realizes that it's a game she starts laughing tickled by the dog.

"Lols stop it!" the woman orders the dog pulling her away "Are you ok?"

The girl looks at the woman straight in her eyes with a lost look but again she does not answer. At that point the woman reaches out to wipe the cheek of the child who instinctively covers her face with her hands.

"Ooooo I don't want to hurt you, ever!" This time Lana talks to the little girl by placing herself on her level and looking into her eyes.

"Sorry" the little one whispers.

"Apparently you and I have to spend time together.. so I'd like to know your name if I ever have to call you.."

"Lux"

"Lux eh? I like it, it's a really nice name" Lana at that moment understood that whatever happened to Maria something of the old herself remained because Lux was the name she wanted to call her daughter when she was a child.

"Would you like to go and see my mom? She lives ten minutes from here" the little girl shrugs and follows the woman first to the door to leave Lola and then to the car.

The ride is short but extremely quiet enough to make both of them uncomfortable.

Arriving at Lana's mother's house, the two enter and are greeted by Dolly, a kind-faced woman.

"Who is your friend Lana?"

"She is Maria's daughter"

The woman at first does not remember and then she remembers her niece, the daughter of her sister.

"Where did she come from?"

"I have no idea, she showed up at home and without too many explanations she left the kid and she left. She said she found my address because she talked to you"

"I will be getting old but I would remember talking to Maria, after having searched for her for years I would remember"

"So she lied.." she said no too surprised.

"My mom doesn't tell lies" the little girl whispers attracting the attention of women.

"You are the prettiest thing I've seen in a long time" the old woman says to the little girl, stroking her head "Lana you have to call social services and settle the matter, understand where Maria has gone"

The woman knows that her mother is right and she confirms that she will ask a lawyer for a hand to solve the problem.

After having tea with her mother, Lana decides to take the child to a store to get some basic necessities for her.

"Hey, do you want to stop by Target? There can't be much in that backpack you carry around"

"What is Target?"

"A shop where you can find a bit of everything, you'll see"

Arriving at the parking lot the girl was curious and scared she had never seen such a place. Lana realizes that the girl is afraid and she goes to open the car door and takes her hand.

"Let's go! I promise you it will be fun.."

Lux was amazed there was so much stuff, she had never been to such a place before and her eyes go wide. The woman makes the girl choose a pair of pajamas, a few T-shirts and a pair of jeans, a pair of leggings, underwear, a sweatshirt, a toothbrush, and some other essentials.

The woman had made the choice for the child a game and this amused Lux ​​who seemed a little more comfortable with Lana than she was.

On the way home, the girl falls asleep in the car, the woman was exhausted by the news of the last few hours.