Chapter 3

When she arrives at the property, Lana parks and she brings her shopping indoors. She comes back opens the rear door and she sees the little girl sleeping peacefully. That little human  was messing with her plans but she couldn't be mad at her rather she was very mad at Maria for the hell she had raised Lux ​​in.

"Sweetie, we are home" Lana calls Lux. The girl doesn't answer and Lana strokes her head and is about to say something when the girl clicks at the touch of the woman. She didn't expect such a reaction.

"I'm sorry I was just trying to wake you up. We're home," Lana whispers.

The little girl who was sorry for her involuntary reaction looks at the woman and hints at a sad smile "It's okay, I'm sorry I took it I thought..".

"It doesn't matter, let's go inside so let's start preparing dinner" the woman replies softly.

Lana lets Lux take a shower while she starts cooking dinner. She has background music, a glass of wine and so she tries to take away the stress of the day by putting lasagna in the oven.

When Lux finishes showering, she finds the woman singing and dancing in the kitchen and she finds it very funny, her laugh awakens Lana from her world calling Lux to have fun with her. The girl was shy and had never danced in her life so the woman picks her up and starts spinning her and the girl laughs at her and the sound of her laughter cheered up the room and warmed her heart.

The sound of the oven, dinner ready, a glass of wine and a glass of milk. Not even for her birthday Lux could remember anything so funny.

"Eat up kid" the woman invites the little girl.

"What is it?" the little girl asks while tasting.

"Lasagna, my mom's recipe. Do you like it? It's okay if you don't like it" the woman says uncertainly.

"My mouth is fireworks"

"I guess that's a yes" the woman laughs.

After dinner, the woman begins to tidy up and asks the child to brush her teeth and go to bed. It was ten o'clock, Lana thought she was unfit for that role from day one, the kids have a schedule and the kids Lux's age had been in bed for a while now. She had to learn and she would be committed because that little human even if she didn't want to admit it she had conquered her.

"I brought a glass of water in case you were thirsty tonight and if you need anything I'm at the end of the corridor," the woman says, tucking the girl's blankets.

"Thank you"

"Good night Lux"

"Good night Lana"

Once in bed Lana devotes herself to work for a few hours reading the scripts that her agent had sent her and answering emails to which she had to respond urgently and between one thing and the other she leaves her office after 2:00 am in the morning. Her attention is captured by noises coming from the room where Lux slept. She knocks discreetly and silently opens the door to find the girl in the throes of nightmares.

Immediately she sits on the edge of the bed and she tries to wake Lux, it is not easy and only after several attempts does the little girl widen her eyes finding something terrible. The little girl was bathed in sweat.

"Hey sweetheart!" the woman says nicely.

"Sorry.." the girl sits down embarrassed "I'm really sorry I woke you up" the girl tried not to meet the woman's eyes, staring at her blankets.

"I wasn't sleeping... how about refreshening your face before going back to sleep?" the woman asks in a soft voice.

"No!" the girl stiffens.

"What happen?".

"I can't sleep, I don't want to go back there"

"What was going on in your nightmare?"

"I don't want to talk about this!" the girl says and turning her back to the woman.

"Do you know that talking about our nightmares out loud makes them seem less real?" the woman tries again by taking the little girl's hand and squeeze it.

The little girl does not answer the woman but when the woman gets up ready to leave her room the little girl grabs her hand instinctively. The woman then takes the kid in her arms and carries her into her room, places her on her bed and she lies down on the opposite side of the bed. The two are both out shortly after.

Maybe Lana didn't feel ready to fill the role of mother but this definitely came naturally to her because Lux felt strangely protected.