Chapter 22

Lana takes Lux to an ice cream shop near the school and gets her day told in detail from the minute they said goodbye.

The little girl tells her about Miss Salomon who shows her the schedule, her episode with Chelsea who act really weird and Kate, the two spent the day.

"We can say that you have a friend and this is important"

Lana was right, Lux wouldn't have made it through the day if it weren't for the little girl who got up to help her when Chelsea and her friends decided to make fun of her in the hallway.

Chelsea, a girl in Lux's year, had approached her with the aim of recruiting her for her group only because everyone in the town knew who Lana Parrila was and the little girl had clearly expressed her dislike towards Lux but the pleasure of having her in her group for the popularity that would have her brought. Lux had never been involved in these dynamics and she was quite bewildered. Kate saw the scene and went to Lux's rescue.

"I don't understand why Chelsea thinks she is better than Kate"

"I think Chelsea is the little Queen Bee of your year, those little girls who have to get noticed at all costs and to do so many times exceed the limit"

"Does this mean being popular?"

"You can be popular for many reasons this is not a good reason, being mean with people is never"

"I like Kate and I don't care about being popular"

"So be a good friend to Kate and leave Chelsea's world far away from you"

The little girl was giving weight to the words of Lana, the only one she trusted blindly and who could advise her and explain that whole new world. Lux had never had a friend before her but Kate seemed to fit within the canons of what she imagined to be a friend. Kate had been open in spite of the girl's oddities and they had talked all day between classes and spent their lunch break together.

"Mommy?"

"What baby?"

"Kate's mum works for your show, she does make-up for actors.."

"That's great baby, what's her name?"

"I don't know, but Kate told me she spends a lot of time there and does her homework there. She asked me if we could do it together I said I don't know if I can stay there but maybe I could ask if she could come home sometime "

"You can stay on set with me if you want to hang out with Kate and you can also invite her at home if Renzo or I can watch you"

The little girl seemed happy with the answers she had received and Lana, for her part, was happy that the little girl had decided to have Kate as her friend instead of the empty girls they wanted to lead.

After another day of school in which the girl had decided to spend her time with Kate in peace, the weekend had arrived.

The last weekend before Lana got back to work.

Renzo and Lana decide to go hiking in the mountains to spend some time together before the frenzy of the set sucks the woman away.

After a day of hiking, bear watching and swimming in the nearby lake, the three go to the cottage they had rented and have dinner by the fire.

The woman shows her partner and the little girl, who never had eaten one, how to make  s'mores.

"How is it possible that you don't know what they are?" the woman asks Renzo in amazement.

"In Italy we put the meat to cook on the fire, not the mashmellows"

"From today you will want to eat only these" the woman tells him putting the child between her legs and kissing her cheek "We need to fix  the branch's position so as to toast the mashmellow well" and helps the child to make her first s'mores.