Chapter 26

In Lux's eyes, everything seemed to have taken double speed. Lana who faints, the little girl who calls Renzo and Renzo who in turn calls an ambulance. It all seemed at 2x.

The rush to the hospital, the cold, half-empty waiting room. The man and the girl sat somewhere away waiting for news. News that never seemed to arrive.

Only after a few hours a doctor in her thirties enters the room where they were waiting and they ask who was there for Lana and the two instinctively get up and go to meet the woman.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Ramirez and I'm the doctor who took care of Lana last night"

"How are you? What happened?" the man asks worried, putting a hand on the shoulders of the girl who climbs up.

"She's fine I'll take you to her"

After going through crowded corridors and other semi-empty ones and being flooded with that typical smell of hospitals that never seems to leave you, the group of people arrives in front of door 177.

"It's here" the doctor begins "I'll let you catch up and come back to you in a moment"

As soon as the woman is about to leave the man bursts into the room impatiently and finds the woman dull but awake.

"Baby how are you?"

"I feel good"

"You scared the shit out of me"

"I'm sorry .. where is Lux?"

"She was with me until a second ago .."

The man goes back to the door and signals the child to enter but she was paralyzed so the man takes her in his arms and carries her to the woman.

"Lux, are you ok?"

"I'm sorry, it's my fault"

"It's not your fault, it's nobody's fault it can happen"

"I always spoil everything"

"You don't spoil anything," the woman says, gesturing to the little girl to come closer. She takes her in her arms and she crouches next to her body.

"Everything always happens for a reason and what happened today led me to hear some good news"

"What are you talking about?" the man asks.

"I'm pregnant.."

"Are you serious?"

"Very serious"

The man in an instant goes from tense and worried to an amusement park full of smiles. The woman feels the child close and stiffen.

After shooting the news and containing the man's happiness, the woman sends him to retrieve a car to go home.

"Is this too much?" the woman asks the girl after they are left alone.

No reply.

"You are scared?"

No reply.

"You hate me?"

No reply.

"I am so happy for this pregnancy and this baby but I don't want this to worry you, you are my number one thought, always .."

"This is a lie," the little girl says in a faint voice.

"Do you think this baby will replace you?"

The little girl nods a yes with her head and the woman can do nothing but hug her and kiss her head. This causes the girl to start crying that the woman decides it is appropriate to let out.

"Let me be really clear about this" the woman says when the baby's sobs begin to subside and taking her face in her hands "between this little being inside of me and you there is and there will never be any difference between the two. You are my most important gift and I love you unconditionally, do you know what that means? "

"Nope"

"That I love you no matter what, always and forever"

"Is there a boy or a girl in your belly?"

"We don't know yet but we'll find out soon. What would you like?"

"It doesn't matter so much you can't choose"

"But what if you could choose?"

"A boy .." the little girl says shyly.

"How come?"

The little girl shrugs.

"Is it something to do with the fact that the beautiful face in front of me is a girl and with a boy you feel less pressure?"

"I do not know.."

"We will work on this ok?"

"Are you back to work tomorrow?"

"No, I have to rest for a while .. and if I have to rest for a while maybe you can take a few days from school, what do you think?"

The little girl at those words prints a huge smile on her face and hugs the woman.

"This is the first smile I've seen on this little face in a while and I love it."