Chapter 7

Lux was overwhelmed by everything. Before her everything that she knew and was familiar about her was taken away without much explanation, then her mother dies, now that she was getting used to her routine with her Lana she decides to take her to the other side of the world on vacation. There was no time to adapt, the little girl's world had begun to spin quickly leaving her breathless, timeless and afraid.

The life she ran away from was the life that the little girl was beginning to miss because no matter how much under constant abuse it was what she was familiar with, what she knew, what did not change and that remained constant in her life.

Lana had explained to the child that she could not attend the funeral ceremony of her mother because they had to leave and within 24 hours she found herself in an airport that she did not know what she was with two suitcases together with the guardian of she. As soon as I check in, the little girl begins to notice how many people were around her and she starts to miss the air. Her breathing becomes heavy and difficult.

"Lan.." the little girl tries to call the woman intent on talking to strangers who continued to stop her.

When the woman realizes what is happening she apologizes to fans who had stopped her for photos and takes the little girl to a bathroom but instead of going into the ladies' room she opens the door of the changing room for babies and gets on her knees and asks the little girl to look at her "Breathe with me baby, you're having a panic attack, breathe in and out". The woman begins to draw circles on the girl's back with her right hand in order to reassure her and when the girl begins to focus on Lana's voice and to match her breathing with the woman one everything seems to return to normal.

The woman then sits on the ground and places the baby on her lap, who rests her head on the woman's chest and closes her eyes, falling asleep to the sound of the woman's heartbeat.

The woman manages to carry the girl on the plane in her arms without waking her. Lux was 8 but she was particularly small for her age and Lana was a fitness fanatic so surely she didn't lack the strength to carry Lux.

The little girl wakes up only a couple of hours after her panic attack and she finds herself disoriented not realizing she was on a plane.

"Hey Sweety! How did you sleep?" the woman asks her as the child abruptly gets up from the first-class seat that had become a bed to accommodate the sleeping child.

"I.. Where am I?" the girl asks her, starting to have trouble breathing again.

Lana takes her on her lap and before panic could take over her she gently rests the girl's head on her chest, stroking her hair and whispering that everything was ok. At the sound of the woman's heartbeat the little girl calms down again.

"We are on a plane taking us to Paris" Lana says once the little girl has calmed down and shows her the airline map on the monitor showing the plane's path. Then she goes to see the clouds from the window and the girl begins to trace the outline of the clouds on the window with her finger.

"Is this the first time this has happened to you?"

"Of not being able to breathe?"

"Yes.."

"When I'm so scared sometimes it happens. The air doesn't come in anymore and I can't breathe" the woman kisses the baby's head "my mommy used to do the same thing"

"Which thing?"

"When it happened she hugged me tightly and made me feel her heart" the woman smiles at the similarities that the little girl told her she had with Maria and she smiled.

"Are you hungry?"

"No, but I'm sleepy" the girl says yawning.

"Sleep then. We still have a long journey ahead and I'm not going anywhere"

Lana watches a movie while rocking the kid. The film soon becomes just a background noise because the woman gets lost in her thoughts.

Maria had left her in a terrifying situation but that particular child had conquered her. She had never had that pressing desire for motherhood or maybe she had never found the right person and when she thought she had found him he didn't have that desire so she never seriously talked about it. Then overnight a little girl rains from the sky and her world changes, her priorities are upside down and if before it was work and aperitifs, now it is work and a Disney movie.

Sometimes she felt completely unfit for the role she had to play with Lux like when in defense of her she showed her sassy side of her and realised she came out of her when she was afraid of people. She always left her open-mouthed because for her the girl was that frightened cutie that woke her up at night because she had had a nightmare but she was learning .. one step at a time, one day at a time ..

Lana feels a hand on her cheek.

"Hey baby! Are you ok?"

"We have arrived?"

"No baby, would you like to eat something and watch a movie?"

The woman orders a snack for the girl and together they choose to see Moana. Lux had never seen a Disney cartoon before but Lana showed her a new one every day, she had become part of their bedtime routine and they both loved it.