9- You're the sole beneficiary

Mercedes's eyes closed when she felt Hunter dig his face into her hair and deeply inhaled in her scent. "You smell fucking amazing," he spoke in barely a whisper.

"Hunter? I know you like to whisper, but can I ask that you talk and not whisper while talking to me? I'd like to hear your voice."

No response.

"Hunter?"

"Hmm," he hummed.

"Look at me," she begged.

He waved his head no.

"Please? It's been a couple of weeks since I have last seen you. It would be nice to see your face again."

He quietly sighed, and as he released his arms from her, he lowered his cap's brim and sat facing the street.

Her brows drew together. "I don't understand you, Hunter. Why do you hide your face and voice? Are you that embarrassed by yourself?"

He nodded and let out a deep sigh while lowering his head. "You wouldn't understand," he said in a low yet quiet voice.

"Try me. You should know me by now and know that I don't look down upon anyone. No matter what their situation is."

"I know you don't."

"Then, why do you hide from me? Why do you whisper to me?"

"Because... I'm extremely ashamed of myself, and the last thing I want is for you to hate me."

"I would never hate you."

"Yes, you would," he quietly muttered.

"You've got me all wrong..." she paused, closed her eyes, and turned her head away from him. She didn't know what else to say to him that would make him feel any better and started feeling even more sorry for him. "Are you hungry at all?" She asked, looking back his way. "How about I take you somewhere to get something to eat? You must be starving."

He was starving. But it wasn't for food. It was her; he was hungering to devour. He lowered his head and shook it. "No. I'm not hungry. I ate."

Not believing him, she asked, "What did you eat?"

"Pizza."

"From where?" She asked, not believing him.

"Pizzarino."

"Pizzarino, huh?"

He nodded. "A nice family handed me a box full of pizza slices and a two-liter of Pepsi."

"Did Adam tell you I was looking for you?"

He waved his head no.

"How did you know I was here?"

"I was walking down the street and saw you sitting on the bench. So I walked over to see it was you... why were you looking for me, anyway?"

She profoundly and sadly exhaled, "I wanted to tell you that my granddaddy passed away this morning."

His arm extended out and around her shoulder. He pulled her to him, and as she rested her head on his shoulder, he lowered his cheek on her head and whispered, "I'm sorry."

"At first, I felt it was my fault."

"Why?"

"Because, without saying anything to him, I left to take a trip down to Antigua. All because I was upset with him."

"And now you don't feel you're at fault?"

She shrugged. "I don't know what to think. I thought I broke my granddad's heart, and it caused him to have a heart attack. But after hearing some things today, I'm not sure anymore."