5 : Stains The Color Of The Sky

Gerard's POV :

Frank is a very innocent kid - for his age, I mean. Some might even think he's borderline little. But we can't ask him to grow up faster than he's meant to. We could force him, but that would be particularly destructive.

But because some people do it anyway, he is losing the spark of joy in his eyes, and I feel so helpless about it. There is nothing more frustrating. Yesterday, he seemed elsewhere and didn't even smile once.

I hope he's not hiding something from me.

•••
"Frank, please take a seat. You don't look so well," I observed, handing him his apple juice, which he drank eagerly.

"Is everything alright, Frank?"

The twelve-year-old sighed. "Yes, I'm fine, just a little bit hungry."

"Hungry? Why? Didn't you eat this morning?"

Frank shook his head. "No time. And..."

"And?"

"My... My parents... They forbid me more and more to have dinner because of my grades."

"What? That's barbaric and ridiculous. How will you improve your grades if you don't eat enough, huh? And how can you grow up properly?" I rolled my eyes.

Some people really forget to use their brain, sometimes. One thing's for sure, Frank's parents surely didn't forget to be stupid.

"Frank, next time that happens, you tell me and we'll go to a restaurant together, huh? And for dinner, I'll give you a lunch box or something."

"O-Oh, uh.. T-Thank you but I don't know if disobeying is a good idea..." Frank stuttered and with his tiny hands he fiddled nervously with the hems of his sweater. A sweater, in May?

I sighed. "Just- tell me if it ever gets too bad, alright? I'll help you."

I don't care if the line doesn't go that far and I'm crossing it. Frank is being mistreated and I know it. There is no way I'm just closing my eyes.

Frank mumbled a promise.
"Now, for today, I'd like us to talk about what you want to do when you're older. It's important to appreciate the present moment, but also to plan for the future. Have you ever thought about it?" I inquired.

"Um, I really don't know. I'm not sure of what I like," he confessed.

"It's okay, I was like you when I was your age. If you want, I can make you take a little test to find out."

Frank looked up with wide eyes. "Oh yay, I love tests ! Is it like a personality test or something?"

"Kind of, but simpler. Sit down on the floor, please."

"On the floor?" Frank repeated as I was picking everything needed for the test at my desk.

"Uh-huh. Go ahead, it's not cold."

Frank did as told and sat cross-legged on the floor. I displayed three items in front of him, placing them distinctly.

A pen on a sheet of paper, a 5 dollar bill, and a toy.

Each represented what interest Frank subconsciously valued the most. The pen represented art and intelligence. The bill was obviously money, and the toy was entertainment and creativity.

"You can pick anything. Just one item, the one that appeals most to you. Choose one and it's yours. Take your time."

Frank looked up at me, and then down at the objects. I sat cross-legged in front of him, curious to see which one he would pick. I'm betting on the pencil and sheet of paper.