13 : Tonight Is Sin Night

When I woke up, I heard voices.

People were talking next door. Is the police back again??

I silently hopped off my bed and slid underneath it as I always did when that happened, grabbing Miss Jackson in the way.

After a while, I silently crawled out of my hiding spot. I walked on tiptoe to my bedroom door and pressed my head against the hard surface - just to make sure they were gone and I could go out.

I heard nothing so I gently pushed the door, which opened in a faint creaking sound. I peered outside the bedroom, looking on both sides like I was about to cross a street.

Walking to the kitchen, I saw Gerard sitting at the kitchen table.

"Hey," I said and Gerard turned around to meet my gaze. "I heard talking."

"Yeah, it was Mikey. He paid me a visit and we had coffee together."

I glanced at the table. There were two mugs, one of which was still full of warm coffee. How odd.

"Mikey? Oh yeah, your brother."

"Mmhm."
Gerard grabbed the two mugs and absentmindedly emptied the second one in the sink.

"Well, tell him I say hi."

Gerard chuckled. "No can do, he doesn't know about you. And I'd prefer if you guys never meet."

"Why not? I'm sure he's nice. You said so yourself."

"He is, but he doesn't really approves of my, uh, methods."

"Oh..."

I looked down at Gerard's arms. He had rolled up his sleeves to wash the mugs in the sink. I noticed that he had burn marks on his left forearm. The skin was redder and seemed stretched.

"Gerard? Where did you get these?" I asked, pointing at the burn marks.

"Oh, it's pretty old. I burnt myself with a tea kettle when I was a kid. The boiling water spilt on my arm. My idiot of a dad didn't mind my wound and so it healed badly."

"Oh... I'm sorry."

Gerard chuckled and ruffled my hair. "Don't apologize, little peanut. Anyway, do you know what day this is?" He beamed at me. For sure, he had something in mind.

"Uhh..."

Gerard laughed. "C'mon Frankie, did you really forget today was your birthday? Where is the kid who was preparing his birthday present list a month before and asked me everyday if I remembered it was coming?"

I blushed. I remember that.
It was two years ago, the first birthday I celebrated with Gerard.

"Happy birthday, my Frankie." Gerard pulled me in a hug and I giggled in his arms. I can't believe I'm already turning 15 ! It feels like the day I met Gerard was yesterday.

"I got you the game you asked me," Gerard whispered. It's like I could hear him smile.

"Thank you, Gee ! "

"But nothing more, and no cake or pie either."

What? Why? Gerard knows I live for eating pie ! Pie is love, pie is life.

"No pie because tonight, we eat candies. I've got a special surprise for you, my boy."

"Really? What is it?"

"You know today's Halloween, right?"

I hummed and nodded. Being born on Halloween is one of my prides, that's something I could brag about if I had any other friend else than Gerard.