4 : Now Is All That Matters

Frank's POV :

Mr. Way and I were growing closer as the year went by. We had spent a lot of time talking and I went to see him as soon as I had free time.

Mr. Way matters to me just as much as he did yesterday. I trust him with the advice he gives me. He's so righteous, smart and kind. He is a good person.

Next year, I'll ask Mom to stay at school everyday for lunch instead of going home so I can spend more time with Mr. Way. I won't tell her that part though, of course. I feel like he's the only one who really cares.

Today at noon, I was in his office, keeping him updated on how things were at home - in a nutshell, not so great.

"Yesterday, Mom made me cry."

Mr. Way frowned. "What did she do?"

"She slapped me. She told me I didn't care about my future because I'm not working hard enough." I looked down at my lap.

"Frank, I've talked to your teachers. You pay attention in class, you cause no trouble and you have good grades. You started off middle school really well."

"Tell that to my parents..." I mumbled.

"Your mother shouldn't hit you, Frank. That is not acceptable."

"Mmmh." I shrugged.
I didn't really feel like smiling, at the moment... And I didn't really feel like saying everything was perfect anymore.

"Hey," Mr. Way spoke softly. "It's okay, I'm with you. You're not alone. Don't let them bring you down, Frankie."

I forced myself to look at Mr. Way and smile, but I was a bad faker, and I could tell seeing me pretend made Mr. Way sad.

"You know what? How about we have lunch outside and I'll buy you an ice cream, huh? How does that sound?" Mr. Way offered.

And with that offer, a light reappeared in my eyes and I grinned - genuinely, this time. It's the first time Mr. Way and I are going to have lunch together !

"Really? Yes, please !"

"Alright, come with me then."

I hopped off my seat and followed Mr. Way close behind. We left the school without a problem. Mr. Way took my hand to cross the street and I think he was forgetting that I wasn't 10 anymore. I'm 12, that's very different.

Mr. Way brought me to a nice little restaurant near the school and he let me order anything that wasn't too harmful for my health.

I picked a veggie burger and so did he. He offered me to taste his coffee as well but I declined - coffee is yucky. Mr. Way seemed a little bit offended by my opinion on coffee but he quickly shrugged it off.

We left without a desert because Mr. Way was going to buy me ice cream.

Mr. Way led me to a park. "There was an ice cream truck over there this morning, I hope it's still there but I can't see why not."

And he was right. I took a chocolate milky ice cream. Mr. Way refused to take any flavor other than coffee, so he didn't take anything since the nice sir had run out.
He also said that Mr. Way had a cute son. I mentally sighed. Yeah, if only Mr. Way was my dad...

The both of us sat down on the grass. I started eating my ice cream before it melted and, looking up, I saw Mr. Way peer at me intently. He had this warm smile he often wore whe I was happy and oh, what I would give to know exactly what was on his mind right now.

"Do you like it?" Mr. Way asked softly.

"Yeah !" I nodded. "Hey, Mr. Way?"

"Mhm?