1 : Welcome to the World

Frank's POV :

'BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP-'

I turned off my alarm clock and hopped out of my bed. I ran to my window excitedly and opened it, deeply inhaling the pure air of late August.

"Good morning, world !" I exclaimed.

I put on the clothes Mom had chosen for me and scurried in the bathroom. I made sure in the mirror that my ebony hair was well-combed. "Good morning, myself !"

I checked that my shirt was without a crease, my dark blue shorts and blazer weren't dusty, my tie was fixed, and my socks were pulled above my ankles. I grinned at my reflexion.

I grabbed my schoolbag I had packed the day before, got momentum and slid on the hard-wood floor towards the stairs. "Yee !"

"Good morning, Sweet Pea !" I told my good old dog who was looking at me drowsily, before rushing downstairs like a gust of wind. I love that dog, she's so cute and so-

"-You stop running around the house right now, young man !" I heard an authoritarian voice growl at me.

"Good morning, Mommy !" I chirped, grabbing a toast in the kitchen.
"Goodbye, Mommy !" I rushed out of the house.

I skipped on my way to school. "Good morning, Mr. Peterson !" I shouted, waving at our neighbor.

Grumpy old man. He threw me a look that looked very much like a glare, but I just interpreted it as one of boredom. Poor man, it's not his fault ; I'm sure he's going through a lot. Being old must not be fun.

I ate my toast on my way to school. I wasn't that worried for my very first day but actually pretty confident. I started skipping on the path.
I can't wait !

Then, before me appeared a freakishly big building. I gripped the straps of my backpack tighter as I made my way into the building that would teach me everything I should know.

Middle school.
I was starting today. 6th grade, what a thrill ! For the ones who were wondering, this isn't even sarcasm. It's going to be awesome ! I can't wait to make friends and get smarter.

School is funny - much funnier than home, at least. Without school, I'm not sure I would ever talk to kids my age. I'm sure I'll make friends this time ; people will be more mature than in elementary school, for sure. They'll understand me. This is a brand new start.

I bounced inside the private, catholic school happily. Alright Frank, focus. Must not disappoint Mommy. You have to make your parents proud. Don't mess up your first day.

I sighed at the thought of my genitors. I just wish they loved me and didn't set the bar so high. It's like I always find a way to disappoint them. But I'll show them.

I just want to be happy and free, have nice handwriting to write pretty poems, know how to whistle and cook nice things, play the guitar a little.

The school looked nice, even though I was secretly expecting more colors around me, like pastel walls. The facilities were huge. I'm wondering what my new life in here will be like...

I started feeling a mix of excitement and anxiety bubbling inside me. After I was assigned to a classroom, I sat at a wooden desk. The teacher, a relatively short man with short hair in his late thirties, explained us how the year would go and how middle school works.

It can't be that bad, can it? I'll have to work more, sure ; I can say goodbye to the little free time I had left. But as my parents say, it'll be worth it. You don't go through middle school twice.