Twenty Nine

Alex

Sarah's words keep playing over and over in my head since last night. What did she mean? What the hell am I missing? I have this nagging feeling that it involves Kathryn and Nathan. Maybe Hail can shed some light on the situation. Since last night all I can think about is Kathryn the way she carried herself wasn't like anything I'd ever seen from her. She was bold and flirty. She's changed so much that sometimes it's hard for me to see that girl she once was with the women she is overshadowing. I have to admit she has always owned who she is but last night she was intimidating. Another thing that's driving me up the wall is Jo she blows hot and cold. I don't know what we have going on or if either of us want to progress it.

Nathan pulls up in the parking spot beside me and climbs out of his truck coming over to where I'm sitting on my tailgate. He looks happy which is saying something for him. He's wearing a smug smile like he just landed a Playboy. "What the hell is up with you Hail?" I say he just shrugs and says "Nothing. Damn man I can't just be happy?" I laugh out loud replying "Hell no the Hail I know isn't ever satisfied. Who is it this time? There were tons of bodies there last night some I'd never seen. Oh did you punch Phillip last night?" His expression drops and turns into the brooding guy I know. "Yeah I did he's a damn prick! And we can talk while we play."

We grab our clubs and head to the driving range. We missed our t time so this will have to do for today. "So tell me about this girl? Or is it Sarah?" Knowing good and well I know it's not her. Just putting my feelers out I heard them arguing last night. He replies "Hell no it's not Sarah. That was just scratching an itch. This girl is different she's remarkable. And way out of my league." Raising my eyebrow at him I know Hail doesn't think anyone is out of his league. I don't say anything he continues "She's smart man, funny as hell, and damn is she sexy. I don't know how I lucked up. What about you and Jo? How's it going?" I can't even think of a response to the question trying to figure out who this damn girl is he's fooling around with. So I reply after a few minutes of silence "She's a cool girl! Really I don't know if we are on the same wave length. But she is a good time and I mean she's fine as hell. But maybe our age gap is to much." He nods his head taking in everything I'm saying and replies "She seems to be good for you! Maybe we will both be able to move on from the past." Before I can agree with him he's changing the subject. "Are we all going to Kathryn's party this weekend?" Shit I forgot about the summer bonfire at her house. Maybe I can get some closure with Kat so we can either work us our or I can move on. I say " I don't think everyone's invited."

After hitting and losing all our balls we head to the outdoor bar near the pool. Being from a small southern town enjoying the life at the country club makes it all worth it. We sit down at an iron table enjoying or beers when Nathan says "Alex. Do you think we are fated to one person? Or is life always full of ultimatums? Can a person be happy without there always being consequences or our demons confronting us with our pasts?" I was speechless this isn't like Nathan he never talks like this EVER. He's looking down at his beer. I say "I'm the wrong one to ask that. I can't quiet my demons as it is. Hell most days I don't even know what I'm doing with my life. I got a good job and no one to share it with. The woman I wanted to share my life with ended it before it really began and I did it all for her. Bettering myself and changing. Hell I don't know what all of it's for anymore." Throwing my hands in the air. "But you know Hail. We live charmed lives of the American Dream everyday. Maybe we are making harder it on ourselves instead of taking what's right in front of us." He looks up at me and says "This woman makes me want to be a better man. I love her with every once of me and if I tell her it will all be over. She will have the control. She could walk out just like my mom did on my dad. Do I want that hurt for myself? Hell no." Leaning back in my chair floored at his last statement. Before I can form a sentence he continues "After everything I swore I would never fall in love, I wouldn't let anyone have that control over me. I didn't want to play the fool Tuck was. He would have begged my mom until he was blue in the face. Yet here I am feeling like I can't be without her and I don't want to be." I lean up and he looks dead at me and I say. "Then don't be who ever it may be will return the same feelings. You are Nathan Hail how couldn't she?"

Nathan

Did Alex just give me permission without knowing who I am even referring to? He damn sure did. Maybe Kathryn's right about everything. Maybe he will support us being together knowing how I feel about her once he finds out.

After I get home and shower, I lay across the bed looking at my phone. Scrolling through social media I see photos from the party the other night one of Sarah on my lap and the other of Kathryn sitting on the counter next to that damn quarterback. She all smiles with her sun kissed skin and dark hair. Clicking her page where she is tagged in the post. She has a new post from an hour ago of her and her sisters posing by a pool in neon bathing suits. They are all so close. I

The week rolls by quickly finally it's Friday! I feel as if I'm waiting for the sun to set so I can see her sweet, smiling face. But first I have to sign for my new truck. I pull up to the dealership after work they have it ready to go. I give them my keys to my old green two door single cab for a four door midnight blue extended cab. Pulling off the lot I feel invincible and I can't wait to see my girl tonight. Hoping tonight is the first big step we take together.

I get home and shower. Decide on wearing and tan Columbia T-shirt with my jeans and boots! Topped with my favorite baseball cap. Alex pulls up at the the house as I'm pulling my boots on. "You ready? I'm starving! We riding in style tonight!" We climb in my truck and head to Kathryn's.