Chapter Nine

(Willow's POV)

I had managed to break my cuffs.

While the short man on stage was blabbing out orders to electrocute us, with every electric jolt I faked, I was hitting the cuffs against the back of my chair.

Honestly I don't know how I did it, the cuffs seemed almost unbreakable- I guess it was the yearning in my heart to have my hands free.

I wanted it so badly, so very badly, and with every electric jolt I was only getting stronger.

So- on the seventh jolt of electricity that traveled through my body, the cuffs finally broke.

I curled my fingers around them, to keep them from clattering onto the stage, but I had to bite back a smile. I felt air on my finger, after being sealed up for days on end- it fells so good to be free.

Now for Kenny and Gavin.

If we're going to escape from here, now's the time.

We're in the open and with my hands now free- I can take down the Officials on the stage.

I just don't know what to do about Kenny and Gavin, beside me they're both breathing heavily. Sweat covers Gavin's face, and he keeps twitching the side of his head.

All I need is one distraction and I know I can set them free, but in Kenny and Gavin's weakened states I'm not sure we can out run all the Officials.

They'll be able to do it; I try to convince myself, its freedom.

I'm just deciding which Official to take out first when my beautiful distraction comes.

Brady, Rachel's brother, the one who comforted me, suddenly shouts out something.

And in that time frame, everyone's head's turn towards him.

I know that I only have a few seconds until people's head's turn back to us, so I take my golden opportunity without a moment's hesitation.

While Brady's talking, fast as lightning I untie the thankfully loosely knotted bonds holding me to the chair. The Officials relied too heavily on the handcuffs, without them I'm barely even restrained.

"Willow?" Gavin murmurs, clearly dazed.

I almost yell at him to shut up, but I hold my tongue.

Instead, I close my eyes and take a deep breath.

You can do this Willow.

Do this for the Unspeakables.

Do this for your friends.

Do this for your freedom.

And with that, I open my eyes and jump out of my seat.

It's easy taking down the Officials, they automatically go for their guns, which gives me plenty of time to shoot a couple volts of electricity at them.

I'm not shooting to injure, I'm aiming to kill.

"Willow!" Gavin yells, "Grab their knives!"

I electrocute another Official, the crowd is roaring with screams, and things are being thrown at me from all over.

I have to hurry, the less prepared the Officials are, the more time we'll have to escape.

I dodge a bullet from an Official's gun, electrocute him, and roll up next to the body, all in one move. Years of being at the compound have taught me to at least how to fight.

Clumsily I grab the knife from the fallen Official's waste band and hop back up to my feet, but I stop short at the sight.

Official reinforcements are pouring onto the stage, and have Gavin and Kenny surrounded, guns pointed at their heads.