Introduction to the roles

Dysfunctional family dynamic roles

THE ENABLER

(Caretaker)
This is the role one can play especially in the case the other parent has not resigned to enable the dysfunctional addicted narcissist parent. They are the ones to keep the family together and going. They take on the addicts responsibilities. They are the martyr of the family and support not only the dysfunctional behaviour, but also a prime enforcer of the co-dependent roles that everyone is required to play.

THE HERO

Saves the family by making it perfect and look good, the golden child may struggle to live up to his status. They receive positive projections from the narcissist parent. Their goal in life is to achieve success by all means, they must always be brave and strong.

THE SCAPEGOAT

This is the problem child or the trouble maker, this member always seems defiant, hostile and angry. He is the truth teller of the family and will often verbalize or act out the problem which the family is trying to cover up. This child often receives negative projections from the parent as they are seen as the rebel.

THE LOST CHILD

Known as the quiet one or the dreamer. Normally invisible as they try to escape the family’s situation by making themselves small and quiet. They avoid interactions with other members and basically disappear. They normally do not matter to the parents.

THE MASCOT

Their goal is to break the family’s tension and lighten the mood with humour or antics. This one is usually the cute one and seeks to be the centre of attention in the family. They are nice and friendly