CHAPTER 2

"How do people think that they own this country, that so called Phil is soo proud, how I wish he was driving a V8 or a BMW I would understand that he is  proud because he is loaded, but only a cup of tea and one chapati, and he was acting like he owned the world, the next time he comes I will definitely not serve him, how dare he pretend to teach me how I am supposed to do my work. I hate you". I said to myself as I got ready to go to bed
Working at Lakeview resort wasn't soo bad but people like Phil made it hard for me, everytime I saw him all I wanted to do was to pour the tea he was drinking on his head.
Phil always had a sense of humor and anytime he came with his friends they would joke and laugh at alot of things whenever he came alone he would talk to the customers he met and they would end up laughing at whatever they were talking about. As time passed on my hatred for him became lesser than the previous day. He became my customer that anytime he came to the resort, he called for Joy to serve him.
"Joy do you have any eggs?"
"Yes, we do can I prepare them for you?"
"Which ones do you have I only eat the 'kienyeji' ones," he responded.
Atleast today he was giving me the chance to answer to his questions.
"No we don't have those" I replied.
"It alright you should give me your number so that, I can tell you where you can buy them, its not good to sell nothing at a big resort like Lakeview." He said.
"we have eggs, and I am not the one who buys things around here, maybe I can give you the managers number for that, or I can just call her and you will tell her that." I said to him. I could see where this man was heading. But as much as I didn't dislike him like I did before he still wasn't my fun and giving him my number was never going to be an option.
"Don't tell me that you don't know how business is done Joy, look I can give you a tray of eggs at kshs 200 and you will tell your manager that you know where you can get a tray of eggs with shs 300  which is a very fair price, and there you will not need a tip you get your hundred shilings by using your mind." He continued smiling at his ego
"I will tell the manager that, I am thinking about the progress of this resort, where will I work if we run bankrupt, you can imagine if all the employees here did the same, we all will have no place to work after a year." I said trying to control my pride.
"I get you Joy, you are wise, but I would still like to get your number."  He said
"There is always a next time P, perhaps you can get a nice trick of getting that number," I said smiling and excused  myself.
I couldn't help smiling as I walked towards the kitchen, this guy was something else. I sat on outside of the kitchen facing the gate waiting for more customers.
"Here, don't say no," I looked up to see Phill handing me his phone, without a word I took it and looked at the screen  it was at the call logs and on it were two numbers that had already been typed 07.. I looked at him smiled then continued to type. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I handed him back his phone and with a Thankyou he left.
Later that night I received a call from a new number, I wasn't sure who it was but I had an idea.
"Hello Joy its Phil how are you doing......." The conversation was endless it took us more than two hours on the call. Phill made it a routine to always call before we both went to bed what was only supposed to be a good night ended up being a documentary.