Chapter 2

I started to think trouble came my way, when I first paid closer attention to my father. He used to come home late at night fully drunk. And, even knowing he was a good dad, I could never get over the fact that he spent all the money we had on beer.

           He apologised a lot when he'd wake up sober the following day, cried me a river and I would forgive him every time, knowing he would do it again later that night. In the end, he still was a good father. Desperate to keep us alive until he couldn't take it anymore. But I still saw him as the best father I could have had.

           I sat on the edge of a rooftop, admiring the slightly high view I could have from the underground. I felt so lonely without him and knowing he chose to leave me still hurt every day.

          My father was the only comfort I've ever had. Even while drunk, he would never get violent. Instead, he would spend hours telling me stories and being hilarious until one of us fell asleep. I wondered how someone as optimistic as him could get to the point that he did.

          I sighed, clenching my jaw in agony. I needed to be tougher to survive that place alone, but I still had a long way to become mentally strong.

           I heard a stray dog start to bark on the street below me. I watched it in silence, thinking about what would happen if I came closer to pet it. I would probably get bitten and would die from contracting anger. I smirked at how stupidly that thought was realistic.

          Then, I got curious as to why it was barking and took a look around, when I found someone walking by. I didn't believe my eyes when I noticed who the person was. I felt myself smile and decided I should go and talk to him.

           "Hey, you!" I called.

           The street was empty, so he was sure someone was calling him. I watched him look around, not finding anyone.

           "Right up here!" I called again and our eyes met.

           A glimpse of surprise plastered on his face as I waved at him smiley. Noticing it was me, he decided to leave. I blinked, surprised he would actually leave.

           I jumped out from the roof to the wall that worked as an improvised stair for me, reached the ground (happy I could still see him) and ran in his direction. My legs were in good shape that day, so it was easy to catch up to him. He wasn't walking too fast.

           "We introduced the other day. You're Levi Ackerman, right?" I asked, with my hands behind my back as I walked beside him.

           He glared at me once and focused again on his path, not showing any interest in talking to me.

            "I'm Y/N, but people call me other things around here... You know, street names and all... Forget that! I knew you weren't the type of much talk. What's your age?" I asked him, but only received silence. "I didn't expect you to answer. You're the mysterious type, completely... I'm sixteen, what about you?"

           "Leave me alone."

           He started to walk faster, but I caught him no trouble.

           "I could, but I don't want to. I'm interested in you." I didn't know if he knew what I meant by that, and I didn't want him misunderstand me, but I wasn't going to think much about it.

           He frowned his brows, looking coldly in my direction.

           "Back off."

           "How rude... I was thinking you could lend me some money." I joked. But soon, I realised he did not find it funny. "Don't worry, it's just a joke. Even if I wanted to rob, which I don't want at all, you would've kicked my ass on the spot."