Chapter 13

I woke up from a dream that I didn't recall. My memory was confused and I wondered if it was due to the painful headache that I've been felling since I was made prisoner.

         The loud chatting of the people downstairs slowly faded as Heike closed the door for the third time of the day. She came to make sure I was not having a panic attack, but it was already too late to think about being drown by anxiety. I slowly accepted the situation as I watched Rachel and the kids be scouted to another room.

         Heike made sure I knew that the storehouse was connected to a common house located behind the wall at my back. She told me the plan again. I would have to go look for my friends before Levi appeared. She would make me signal once Levi was close to us.

          I breathed in the smell of putrefaction that surrounded the place. If even there was a air duct making the air circulate, I wouldn't feel so sick. I realized I was still starving and that only worsened the experience. I hadn't had anything to eat since the previous day's lunch, and mixing the hunger with all of the horrifying feelings, I was lead by my own body to feel nauseous. I kept pushing myself forward to prevent me to give up and puck.

       My only wish was to go home and have dinner with my father. Nothing felt right without him anymore. Back then, I didn't realise I was going back in time as that was the only way I could forget briefly the situation I was in. That was the only thing preventing me from being reckless. I couldn't screw things up.

        As soon as I closed my eyes, a memory played in my head.

.
.
.

        I was leaving home with someone and several people dressed in formal clothes were waiting for me in a carriage. I looked up and saw my dad's sorrowful eyes starring at those people.

       It was as if I wasn't there, only him and the man that handed him a letter. I could picture my hand grabbing on my dad's shirt and stared away from the situation to a woman that stared down at me from sitting in the carriage. I kept looking at her, until my mind switched to another situation.

       It was a memory from me running the empty streets of the underground. For a second, I thought I was reviving the memory of the day I met Levi, but it was different. My father was right behind me, ordering me to keep running. I didn't understand what this memory was about. Until that moment, I thought I had never ran as much as I ran like in the day I killed him. But it seemed like, somewhere else in my mind, the memory of me running before that day was fresh.

.
.
.

        My memory switched again, and I was sitting alone by a fountain, similar to the one where I first met Rachel.

        I quickly stared at my left and watched my father talking to a merchant. I recalled he told me to wait for him as he went and bought us some supplies. I was playing with my hands and stared at my face from a mirror of a shop close by.

       I only then realized that I didn't look like what a kid was supposed to look like. I lacked colors and my eyes were dead, not a single glimpse of light glistened in them. By the time I was about to look down at my lap, I heard a scream ahead of me. I watched as a crowd started to form, and since my father wasn't paying attention, I got up to go take a look.

          When I got to the center of the commotion, I hide behind a lady and watched as a raven-head boy kicked an older man that was hanging between the boy's hands and the ground. I felt curious and watched as the boy's nose started to bleed, probably from being punched before. In one of his hands he also held a knife.