Chapter Twenty

The arena chosen tonight was a corporate building. Hatter, Rose and two others from the beach leaned against the car taking in their challenge for tonight.

"Any guesses on what kind of game were about to enter?" the driver asked. Rose shrugged, what did it matter, they would find out soon enough.

"I hope it's nothing to do with heights" the other girl squeaked.

"I'm sure it will all be fine" Hatter attempted to calm them; Rose just rolled her eyes.

They made their way into the lobby,

Please make your way to level three for the game to begin.

The phone speaker announced. They collected their phones and made their way to the third level, it opened to a large outdoor area that may have an outdoor bistro at some stage. Rose walked around surveying the area trying to figure out what the game might be. There were 4 people standing around and waiting for the game to commence. They all looked like experienced players, Hatter began speaking with them offering them sanctuary at the beach if they survived and of course, helped him survive.

The only thing that drew Rose's eye was a large crane that sat rather close to the edge of the building. The usual excitement that Rose gelt for the games was slowly creeping into her. The thoughts of boys, friends and torturers was pushed away, all focus going to strategy.

It took another 10 minutes for the last 2 players to join.

REGISTRATION CLOSED

TOTAL PARTICIPANTS: 10

DIFFICULTY: 8 SPADES

GAME: HANG MAN

RULE: HOLD ON TO THE CRANE UNTIL THE TOP FLOOR OF THE BUILDING

CLEAR CONDITION: GAME IS OVER IF YOU FALL. GAME WILL FINISH EARLY IF ONLY ONE PLAYER IS REMAINING ON THE CRANE

TIME LIMIT: UNLIMITED

Please proceed to the Crane to pick a position.

Rose turned to Hatter while the others cautiously approached the crane.

"Holding on is your job, I will protect you if someone tried to attach you but you hold yourself up" she said before walking away and picking her position. Hatter took up his position opposite her. Most had wrapped their arms around the beams ready to dangle the remaining 10 floors.

Rose pulled herself up and swung her leg over the bar so that she was resting about it, one arm and leg on wither side. She winced at the pain that radiated from her still healing body but sucked it up.

Eyes flew to her in annoyance and she laughed.

"Your arms will give out long before we reach the top" she laughed adjusting herself to be more comfortable. Hatter followed her lead, but the others ran out of time attempting to reposition themselves. The crane rose suddenly, and one person lost their grip in surprise.

The game was slow but Rose was starting to notice a pattern. 20 minutes on level 4, 30 minutes on level 5 – the building went to level 10 so it was going to be a long night. The thought to kill everyone crossed Rose's mind for a second but was quickly dismissed – she would only attack if they attacked her first. Sure her position would grow uncomfortable but she wouldn't fall.

At level 6 another 2 players fell.

"So, how do you like being a militant?" Hatter asked, Rose gave him a look of pure disbelief and saw the he was sweating profusely, red in the face. She decided to humour him and answer.