five

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Welcome and Warning

"I hate you, but I don't."

Hogwarts

SPLASH!

A carriage wheel shattered the glassy surface as we tilted up, caught a procession of horseless carriages, carrying students towards the glimmering castle.

Gradually, the sweet sound of a choir rose on the air, a flash of lightning bleached the night sky as we glided towards the windows of the Great Hall.

Great Hall

In the Great Hall, towards the candlelit silhouettes glimmering within, passing through the glass.

At the High Table, Lupin sat with Severus Snape, Minerva McGonagall, Rubeus Hagrid, and Albus Dumbledore. We tracked along the faces of the choir, singing to the strains of a harpsichord, and landed on a quintet of toads, one of which—Trevor—belongs to Neville Longbottom, who looked on with pride.

Argus Filch, Hogwarts' caretaker, stood grimly to the side as red-eyed Mrs. Norris switched her tail at his feet. As the choir's song concluded, Dumbledore rose, beaming over the sea of black hats. "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say, before we become befuddled by our excellent feast. I myself am particularly looking forward to the flaming kiwi cups, which while somewhat treacherous for those of us with facial hair..." Dumbledore explained, causing McGonagall to clear her throat. "Mm. Yes. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin, who has kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts. Good luck to you, Professor." Everyone started to applaud for the arrival of the Professor. "As some of you may know, Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years, has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be filled by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid!" Harry, Ron and Hermione stared at each other—stunned—then applauded vigorously.

At the Slytherin table, Liv stammered a smile before she started to applaud as well, sitting in between Roni and Draco. Roni also applauded happily with Liv, but Draco just looked annoyed and unimpressed. He then turned to see Harry. "Potter," he said to Harry, and Liv looked at him, as Harry also looked at him. "Potter. Is it true that you fainted? I mean, you actually fainted?"

He started to laugh, along with his bodyguards when Liv slapped his arm. "You shut up, Draco," Liv said.

"Shove off, Malfoy," Ron said, then Liv gave her Gryffindor friends an apologetic expression.

Hagrid turned ruby red, stood up, and nearly toppled the staff table, sending water goblets weaving. "Finally, on a more disquieting note," Dumbledore said in a grave tone, as everyone settled down. "Hogwarts—at the request of the Ministry of Magic—will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban." A murmur of apprehension filled the hall, and all eyes went on either Harry or Liv.

At the Slytherin table, Draco flanked by the ever-present Crabbe and Goyle, and Liv next to him. He caught Harry's eyes, feigns a dead faint. "The Dementors will be stationed at the entrances to the ground. While they are under strict orders not to enter the castle itself, you will on occasion see them as you go about your daily activities. Under no circumstances are you to approach them. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving," Dumbledore warned, causing the students to look at each other hesitantly.

———

As the students left the Great Hall, to go on to their common rooms, Draco was quickly running off, as Liv violently chased him. "Draco Lucius Malfoy, you get back here this instance!" she yelled but Draco still ignored her, almost terrified to look at her. "I will kill you for that ugly comment you made!"

"Liv, calm down," Roni whispered to her, as Liv was making a scene.

"I fainted as well, you little ferret!" Liv yelled before she chased Draco, all the way to their common room.

———

On the marble staircase, at the seventh floor landing, Harry, Ron and Hermione arrived and approached the Fat Lady in the portrait. "Fortuna Major," Harry said to the portrait, and the door opened.

Gryffindor Common Room

The Gryffindors trailed through the common room, the girls heading one way, boys the other. But Ron was laughing. "Did you see Liv and Malfoy? Liv is so mad at him, it's hilarious!" Ron exclaimed and Harry smiled.

"Serves him right," he said.

Slytherin Common Room

Before any Slytherin's slithered in, Draco ran in, Liv running after him. After her, Winter and Roni. "I swear to Merlin-" Liv started.

"What are you gonna do? Hit me?" Draco asked, which made Liv even more mad.

"I might as well," Liv said before she crossed her arms and picked up Winter. "You are lucky I am tired," she said simply before she scurried off to her dorm, Roni following her.

"Goodnight, Princess," Draco said sarcastically, earning a mean look from Liv.

Gryffindor Common Room

Later, in the Tower Dormitory, while those around him sleep, Harry took the photograph of his parents, and sat it next to his bed, then glanced around in the quiet contentment. "Good to be home, eh, Harry?" A familiar voice asked.

Harry turned—caught—and found Ron studying him from his own bed, Scabbers cradled in his hand. Harry nodded then turned to the window

Slytherin Common Room

Later, in the Tower Dormitory, while everyone else was asleep, Liv looked at a photograph of her parents, and one of her and Draco. She stared at his glum expression in wonder. Why is that this year, she's more mad at him than any other year? What was it about him that just irritated her? "You all right, Liv?" A familiar voice asked.

Liv turned—caught—and found Roni studying her from her own bed. Liv nodded before she turned to the window.

———

At the same time, outside of the castle, The Dementors drifted to their positions outside the grounds. As Harry and Liv continued to stare at their windows, they then looked at their friends and assured they were both happy and okay.