nine

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Talent for Trouble

"Children without families are the most vulnerable people in the world."

Two weeks later, in the courtyard of the castle, a great buzzing queue of students -- Third Years and older -- each clutching permission slips -- passed by a glowering Flitch. "Remember! These visits to Hogsmeade Village are a privilege. Should your behavior reflect poorly on the school in any way, that privilege shall not be extended again," Professor McGonagall reminded the excited students.

Liv and Harry nervously approached Professor McGonagall, fiddling with their permission slips. But before either of them could even utter a syllable: "No permission form. No visiting the Village. That's the rule, Potters," Professor McGonagall said and they looked at her taken back.

"Yes, Professor, but I thought if you said we could go-" Harry said.

"But I don't say so. A parent or guardian must sign, and since I am neither, it would be inappropriate," Professor McGonagall said and the two eyed her sadly. "I'm sorry, Potters. But that's my final word."

Ron, Hermione, and Roni — who watched Harry and Liv from across the way — see the two turned towards them, shaking their heads, and their friends' faces fell. Harry raised his hand in farewell as Liv just stood next to him, watching them go. But as she watched her friends leave, Liv glanced up over the trails to see Draco. He was walking with other Slytherins when he suddenly stopped, to look for Liv. But he found her still under the clock tower, staring at him sternly. He stared at her back, a little — sad that she couldn't come along. But he wouldn't admit it. So he just continued his way down the path, catching up with the other Slytherins.

"So. No Hogsmeade, eh?"

———

Moments later, on a bridge still on Hogwarts grounds, deep in the distance, some boys skated about on brooms, tossing a ragged Quaffle back and forth.

Below them, was Harry, Liv, and Professor Lupin was walking along the bridge. "Well, don't feel too bad. I was roundly disappointed the first time I went," Professor Lupin said and the Twins looked at him, taken back.

"Really?" Harry asked.

"No," Professor Lupin said with a smile and the two frowned. "I was just trying to make you feel better. Honeydukes' sweets are the best in the world. Their Pepper Imps are so strong you smoke at the ears. And Zonko's Joke Shop may be dangerous, but you can't beat their Stink Pellets."

"Not to mention The Shrieking Shack, which, according to Hermione, is the most severely haunted building in Britain," Harry said.

"Yes, that too," Professor Lupin said and Liv suddenly sighed, looking at the Professor.

"Professor, can I ask you a question?" Liv asked and Professor Lupin smiled.

"You'd like to know why Peter Whiteford's Boggart was you and...Lord Voldemort," Professor Lupin said and Liv looked up at him in curiosity. "And why I stopped Harry from facing the Boggart." Liv nodded as Harry also looked up at the Professor. "Peter Whiteford...he, he isn't afraid of you. He's afraid that Lord Voldemort will hurt you, Liv." Liv looked at him in confused wonder. "He cares about you. Might even fancy you."

"Lovely," Harry muttered, getting protective of Liv, not caring that Peter was in Gryffindor.

"And about Harry. I should think it'd be obvious. I assumed the Boggart would take the shape of Lord Voldemort," Professor Lupin said.