eighteen

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Sirius Black

"Inside each of us, there is a seed of both good and evil. It's a constant struggle as to which one will win. And one cannot exist without the other."

A crystal ball murky with smoke..."Relax...let your mind...go..."

The next morning, in Division's class, the students gazed into Crystal balls, their faces reflecting the mist within, so that their very skin seemed to be made of smoke.

Conspicuously, Harry, Ron, and Hermione sat apart. But also, Harry was avoiding his own sister. Hermione sat with Liv and Roni, but as Liv was trying to focus on her teacher, she was also trying to figure out why her twin was avoiding her. More like ignoring her.

Just that very morning, when Liv walked into the Great Hall for breakfast, she went on with her morning routine. Said hello to her friends and brother at the Gryffindor table. Ron said hello. Hermione said hello. Even though the two Gryffindors weren't speaking it seemed. The Weasley's said hello. Peter said hello. But not Harry. He stared at his food, fully knowing Liv was talking to him, but he didn't look at her. Morning, was all he said. Barely under his breath.

Liv very well knew Harry was hiding something. But what exactly it was? She wasn't sure yet.

"Crystal-gazing requires that you clear the Inner Eye," Professor Trelawney said, pulling Liv out from her thoughts. "Only then, will you...see. Oh my, what do we have here...?"

Liv's eyes stared at her Professor frightened as she eyed Liv's crystal, but Hermione rolled her eyes. "Here we go again. It's the Grim! It's the Grim!" Hermione exclaimed, utterly annoyed. But Professor Trelawney narrowed her eyes at the girl as Liv and Roni stared at the two tensely.

"My dear, from the moment you first arrived in my class, I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of Divination. You may be young in years, but the heart that beats beneath your bosom is as shriveled as an old maid's, your soul is dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave," Professor Trelawney told the girl, leaving Liv, Hermione, and Roni in utter offense. Liv wanted to tell the teacher off, but like Hermione would say, Don't try to get expelled.

Stung, Hermione started to reply, but — remarkably — seems incapable of a single word. Rising gracelessly, Hermione stormed out, knocking her crystal ball to the floor. Liv watched curiously as the ball rolled slowly out the doorway before back at her Professor. "In the late spring, one of our members will leave us forever," the annoying voice of Lavender spoke out, causing the Slytherin girls to look in her direction. "You knew Professor! You saw."

"On these occasions, I take no joy in my gift, Miss Brown," Professor Trelawney said before she got back to her lesson.

"Hey, Lavender," Liv whispered and the blonde looked at her. "How about next time you keep that annoying mouth shut before I make you leave us forever." Liv and Roni then smiled together as the blonde Gryffindor stared at them terrified, looking back at the lesson.

———

As the student left the classroom after class, Liv and Roni walked together as Harry and Ron came up behind them. "She's gone mental, Hermione has. I mean, not that she wasn't always mental, but now it's out in the open for everyone to see," Ron told Harry, but the boys were suddenly stopped when the girls did. They both turned around, facing the boys, mainly towards Ron. And his constant whining.

"You are aware that her mentality is only because you annoy her so much," Liv said.

"And you blame everything on her," Roni added.