one

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Aunt Marge's Big Mistake

"Don't expect abusive family members to apologize or make amends. They will likely blame you more if you attempt to hold them accountable."

It was pitch black again.

Until a doorbell was heard ringing multiple times.

Dursley's Household

In the foyer, Liv hurriedly ran up to the front door, where Uncle Vernon's sister, Aunt Marge, was obnoxiously ringing the doorbell, and calling for Liv or Harry to open it. Liv was wearing a white short sleeves top, and blue jeans that went over her bellybutton, along with white vans and a red ribbon headband in her hair, some of her dark curled hair flown down over the ribbon.

When Liv opened the door, she saw it was raining outside and Aunt Marge exhaled as she brought her umbrella down and gave it to Liv, right as Harry walked downstairs with two permission slip forms. Aunt Marge passed the foyer and into the kitchen where Aunt Petunia stood waiting.

Aunt Marge's pet bulldog Ripper was on a leash and walked with Marge. Aunt Marge and Aunt Petunia exchanged greetings as Ripper lifted up on his hind legs at Aunt Petunia.

Back in the foyer, Harry, Liv, and Uncle Vernon walked towards the kitchen when Harry unfolded two small parchments. "Uncle Vernon, I need you to sign these forms," Harry said and Liv looked back at them, realizing Harry was trying to get a guardian signature for her and him to be able to go to Hogsmeade.

"What is it?" Uncle Vernon asked, looking back at him as well.

"Nothing. School stuff," Harry said.

"Later, perhaps, if you both behave," Uncle Vernon said before he walked away.

"We will if she does," Liv muttered to her Uncle, causing Aunt Marge to look at her and Harry.

"Oh, you're both still here, are you?" Aunt Marge asked as Liv crossed her arms and Harry stood by her.

"Yes," Liv muttered.

"Don't say yes in that ungrateful way," Aunt Marge said before she handed Ripper's leash over to Petunia. "Damn good of my brother to keep you." She then turned to Vernon in a bitter expression. "They'd been straight to an orphanage if they'd been dumped on my doorstep, Vernon."

Liv glared at the woman as tears stung her eyes, not of sadness, but of overwhelmed anger. Aunt Marge's attention was pulled away when she heard laughter nearby. She looked over at the couch and was delighted to see Dudley Dursley, Harry and Liv's fat and bitter cousin, who was watching TV, laughing, and eating snacks. "Is that my Dudders? Is that my little neffy-pooh? Come and say hello to your Auntie Marge," Aunt Marge said before she flashed a thick fan of pound notes. Dudley blinked, waddled forward, and extended his plump palm obediently. Liv looked on, then saw Ripper snuffing about her ankle.

———

Later, in the dining room, as Harry cleared the dishes and Liv cleaned the kitchen, Uncle Vernon brought out a bottle of brandy. "Can I tempt you, Marge?" Uncle Vernon asked.

"Just a small one. A bit more...a bit more...a bit more...That's the boy," Aunt Marge said before she took a sloppy sip. "Aah. Excellent nosh, Petunia. It's normally just a fry-up for me, what with twelve dogs." She smacked her lips, lowered her brandy, and let Ripper take a slobbery lap out of the glass, then she caught Harry staring at her oddly. "What are you smirking at!" This commotion caused Liv to stop cleaning and look over at Aunt Marge. "Where is it that you sent them, Vernon?"