Dolunay var (4. Bölüm)

A/N: I couldn't resist trying to write this swoony garden scene from the end of episode 4 - Ferit can't help but follow his interest in Nazlı, and Nazlı can't help but respond even though she knows everything must change now she knows about Asuman's doings...

'Do you like the coffee?'

They walked out to the garden side-by-side, the scent of the coffee mingling with the smell of sun-warmed grass cooling in the evening air and the salty breeze drifting in from the Bosporus.

'Mmm, it's still a little hot, but delicious... and... there's something extra in there?' Nazlı's brow furrowed as her palate tried to identify the taste.

'I forgot, you're a gourmet,' Ferit Bey smiled, perching on the edge of the table and putting his coffee down, notably not answering as to the secret ingredient.

'Not a gourmet, a chef.' Nazlı stood next to him a little self-conscious that their eyes were suddenly on the same level, but pleased that he'd sat and wouldn't be towering over her.

'And don't worry, it's caffeine-free, it won't keep you up all night,' Ferit Bey offered.

'I'm not sleeping very well lately, anyway,' Nazlı responded unthinkingly - then immediately regretting bringing it up.

'Why?'

She tried a breezy response. 'Oh, you know, work, school, life.'

A beat: he nodded but looked at her knowingly, not buying it, and she relented. 'Bulut. I think about Bulut. Whether he's used to the new house yet. If he's doing alright.' She felt the sharp little pain pinch her chest.

'Don't worry, that matter will be resolved very soon,' he replied, with the confidence of a man who knew how to get things done. She didn't doubt him and tried to let the relief overtake the guilt.

'I'm glad.' To her surprise Ferit Bey continued.

'I know there's little Hakan wouldn't do to get what he wants, but Demet... Knowing the whole situation as she does, being Bulut's aunt, I never thought she would help Hakan this much.'

'There's a Japanese proverb which says, 'Don't worry about the black rocks in the rice - it's the white ones to fear.'' The words spilled from her mouth before she could think better of it, and Nazlı looked away, knowing that particular saying had come to mind because of Asuman, not Demet Hanım. She shouldn't have said it to this man.

'That's well-said. And spot-on, too.' If only he knew.

There was a moment of awkwardness, the chirping crickets the only sound, and Nazlı berated herself. What was she doing here? How could she stand next to this man, in his house, drinking his coffee, calmly discussing Bulut when she knew the very reason there was anything to discuss - was related to the reason?

She felt a surge of shame and considered claiming she had to leave, looked over towards the path to the street, but, again surprising her, he picked up the conversation.

'What's this fascination with the Japanese - the food, the culture, all of that?'

Nazlı felt her face light up. 'Well, generally I like not sticking to the same old routine. But also they're a very sincere, honourable, hard working people-'

'Sorry, I'm interrupting, but I can see that's still too hot for you, here, let me take it,' he gestured to her coffee mug, apparently having noticed that she'd been shifting it from one hand to the other, balancing it between the tips of her fingers. She gladly handed it over, the heat not seeming to bother him.

'Thank you. Yes, they're honourable, sincere, hardworking, and their cuisine is truly amazing. They're such nice people, and there are little characteristics I love - like, in Japan, some animals have their own towns! They're named after cats, and foxes, and rabbits... To think that there are places and people like that in the world makes me so excited!'