Part 2: Chapter 45

About a week after my birthday, Adolpha was officially sworn in as the new pack leader. They had a formal ritual to transfer the power from my father to her. I knew it wasn't what he wanted, but he did it to save us. He was a guardian, switching positions with her.

I was becoming more accepting of my wolf side. Yes, I was still a vegetarian, despite it getting harder to do so. Nadine and I gave up our little apartment and completely moved into the wolf lodge, despite Adolpha's desire to deny us lodging. She thought we were trouble. She wasn't wrong.

The leader of the pack got the biggest bedroom, then worked its way down. My dad packed his things up. I stood in the room next to him. I hadn't been in his room before. It was mainly barren, there were hardly any decorations. It was tidy, nothing was out of place. The bed sheets were dark plaid. Near his bed there was a framed picture of me, him, and my mother.

"Sorry about all this. I know you weren't ready to give all this up." I said, staring at the photograph of my parents.

"I wasn't at first, but I've been doing it for a long time. Perhaps it's best for a change. Plus, I get to spend more time with you and Nadine." He packed away the few things he had by tossing them into a cardboard box.

Oh, yeah. I almost tried to forget. My dad and my best friend were dating. It was odd. Now that my dad didn't have a pack of wolves to tend to, he could spend time with her. I was happy for them, it just weirded me out if I thought about it too long.

"Adolpha knows she can't kick you out for past problems, but she will be looking for one to get rid of you now. So please, you and your friends be on your best behavior."

I agreed. I was a wolf, there was no changing that now. When I had first gotten to the lodge, Romulus told me I could find potential happiness there.

And I did.

His name was Bayne Greene.

I was walking down the hall after leaving my father's room. It ceased to amaze me how big the lodge was.
I still hadn't been in every room. The bottom floor consisted of the dining area and kitchen, along with a common space. Romulus's healing room was also down on the first floor, close to the front door that led to the dining hall. The second floor was mainly bedrooms and bathrooms. The third floor was the guardian's table room where they met, along with their bedrooms. There was also a basement under the kitchen, but I hadn't been down there. Most wolves shared a room with at least one person, except the guardians and pack leader.

I felt arms reach I felt someone reach behind me and plant a kiss on my cheek. It still felt like a shock.

"Hey, you seem happy. For once." I noticed, turning around to see him.

"I know, I am happy." He said. His grin was so large I was surprised his face didn't droop.

"Why? What's the occasion?"

"Adolpha told me to get out of her sight!"

"Isn't that a bad thing?"

"She didn't banish me, or kick me off as a guardian. Because, well, she can't. But she told me my current task was to stay out of her way."

"So pack leaders can step down but guardians can't?" I asked.

"Yeah, it's an odd tradition, but it is what it is. A leader change can be good, someone filled with new ideas. A guardians job is to protect, that never changes."

Bayne was esthetic. One of Adolpha's first attempts she made as the next pack leader was to remove Bayne as a guardian. This wasn't allowed unless he had a successor, so her order for him was to stay out of her sight. Bayne didn't seem to mine one bit, in fact, he was quite happy. I was happy for him.