5. 𝘝𝘦𝘳𝘰𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘢'𝘴 𝘉𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘋𝘢𝘺 (𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘍𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵 𝘘𝘶𝘦𝘴𝘵)

𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 5: 𝓥𝓮𝓻𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓬𝓪'𝓼 𝓑𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓓𝓪𝔂 (𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓕𝓲𝓻𝓼𝓽 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓼𝓽)

The next morning after breakfast, Veronica was boredly sitting alone. She considered going to talk to a friend. Before she could do that, though, Zoë approached her with a brochure. It was about the Hunters of Artemis. The front read, A WISE CHOICE FOR YOUR FUTURE! Inside were pictures of young maidens doing hunter stuff, like chasing monsters and shooting bows. There were captions like: HEALTH BENEFITS: IMMORTALITY AND WHAT IT MEANS FOR YOU! and A BOY-FREE TOMORROW!

Rather than focus on the actual content of the brochure, Veronica wondered how they achieved the pictures. Were they taken in real time? Did Artemis have a green screen and really good CGI to make the photos?

She told Zoë she'd look through the brochure, though part of her felt pressured to join. She decided that she'd distract herself by talking to Eve.

The girl in question was silently sitting off by the lake. Veronica plopped down beside her. "What's wrong?" she asked.

Eve looked up at her, her face somewhat ashen and sunken in. "I overheard Grover and Percy talking," she said.

Veronica gagged at the mention of Percy, and was promptly pinched by the daughter of Ares. "Shut up," Eve said. "It's important. Basically, Percy had a nightmare about Annabeth. Luke..." she trailed off.

Veronica rolled her eyes. "You mean dipshit," she said.

"Luke," Eve emphasized, "tricked her into holding this giant rocky ceiling ad then left her to die."

"So he was a douche," Veronica said. "What's new?"

"Veronica!" Eve snapped. "The point is that Grover heard Zoë tell Chiron she dreamed that Artemis was captured."

"Well, that sucks," Veronica said. "What's that got to do with you being gloomy?"

"Will you shut up?" Eve demanded. Veronica held her hands up in surrender as Eve continued. "It's connected somehow. That's all I know."

Veronica gave it some thought. Eventually, she shrugged. "Not my problem," she said.

Eve looked her up and down incredulously. "Do you have any compassion?" she asked. "One of our fellow campers has been taken captive and so have one of the Olympians goddesses!"

"Yeah, and I don't really care for them all that much," Veronica explained. "Annabeth acts like my existence hurts her, and I don't even know why. And Artemis... well, she's a goddess. She'll be okay."

Eve huffed. "And if it were your father?"

Veronica shrugged. "If it were my father, I'd be the same way I am now. He's been captured before. He was fine. What if it were Ares? He's been captured too."