Chapter 46

I gulped. I knew what he wanted to do that weekend.

"At least stay far away from me." She sneered.

"My pleasure." He smiled.

"Dismissed." She adjourned the meeting.

Nadine hadn't seen her parents for a while. She had told her parents she's been busy at school. They had no idea she dropped out and was living in a lodge in Canada. Nadine was excited to go, my father not so much. He seemed nervous when she brought it up, constantly itching his five o'clock shadow. He wasn't the type of person to get nervous easily. Nadine and I were in our room, she was packing a bag. She couldn't find her hairbrush and was digging in all the cracks of the room.

"Excited to go home?" I asked her.

"I am, but I don't think your father is." She said, feeling around the room for her hairbrush.

"Why do you think that?" I said.

"I don't know. Every time I bring it up he just gets quiet, like he doesn't want to go."

"Do you think you guys are that serious? Meeting family and friends is a big step. It's only been a couple months."

Nadine found her hairbrush tucked under her bed. She pulled it out and stuffed it in her striped bag.

"I don't know. Maybe. Would you talk to him, please? Maybe he'll talk to you." She said.

"I don't know if I should get involved." I said.

"I just don't want to make him do anything he's uncomfortable with. He won't talk to me much about it. Please?" She said.

"I'll do it, I'll see what's up." I agreed.

"Thank you so much, Erin! It means a lot." She smiled.

That evening I looked for my father. It was getting close to sundown, I didn't have much time. He was outside, conversing with a group of people.

"Hey, dad." I greeted.

"Hello. Clear skies tonight." He observed. The others disbanded.

"Yeah. Unfortunate."

"Overtime, I've learned to enjoy wolf form. I hope you will too." He said.

"At least we won't have to worry about that for the next couple days. Heavy storms two nights in a row. Any plans with that?"

"Nadine wants me to go home with her. To West Haven in Washington."

"Sounds like a good weekend to me." I said. He didn't say anything.

"Not so much?" I asked. He let out a sad sigh.

"I'm not looking forward to it." He admitted.

"Why? Are you not serious about her?" I asked.

"Of course not. I am serious about her. I honestly love her. It's just. I'm so much older than her. I could be around her parents age. I don't want anyone to look down on her because of me."

"Nadine doesn't care what anyone thinks. Neither should you. She might not have said it yet, but she loves you too."

He let a little smile slip.