Chapter 49

I quickly tried to snap out of it. No. Bayne wouldn't. I wouldn't let my dad make me not trust him. I didn't say anything. I wanted to scream.

"He didn't kill anyone. You're wrong."

"Have to go back. Break is over." He said. I didn't want to say anything else to him. I tried to contain my anger. I had never been so angry at him before.

Before I knew it, they had talked to all the wolves, and they called me and Bayne back in. The rain poured all night.

"We spoke to everyone here. So, Erin. You say you were with Bayne last night, is that correct?" The witch asked.

"Yes. It is."

"Were you with him all day?"

"I was with him all night until she was found."

"You didn't answer my question. According to other members of the pack, you were looking for him in the evening. And no one else had seen him at all that day. Is it possible that when you didn't know his whereabouts, he could've killed your pack leader?"

"No! Of course not! He was getting stuff for our date that night! That's why no one saw him! He was trying to surprise me!"

"Or was he killing his pack leader and that's what he wanted you to think?" The witch argued with me.

"No! He would never!"

"Bayne, do you have anything to say?" Asked the fairy.

"I wasn't at the lodge during the day, that's correct. I went to town. I was buying candles and flowers. You caught me, hopeless romantic."

"And you didn't tell anyone where you were going?"

"No. It was supposed to be a surprise."

"It seems a bit suspicious that you didn't mention to anyone you were leaving. Especially considering your position as a guardian."

"Adolpha told me to stay out of her way. That's exactly what I did."

"So, no proof that you went to the nearest town? Interesting. Search his room!" The witch commanded. The vampire and fairy did as they were told. The witch followed behind him.

"Whoa, that seems a bit extreme!" I said.

"It's alright, Erin. They won't find anything." He turned toward the fairy and the vampire.

"Go ahead. Search it."

They marched down to Bayne's room. My dad and Dakota remained in their chairs. They looked at each other, unsure of what to do now.

"Do you have any proof you were in town yesterday? No receipts? Nothing?"

"No. I wanted it to be a surprise. I didn't think all of this would happen."

I tried to think of any possible way to confirm Bayne was where he said he was yesterday. I wanted to prove his innocence, I had no idea what werewolf prison would be like. They came back about ten minutes later.

"Find anything?" Bayne asked.

The fairy was carrying a pair of Bayne's dark boots.

"What? Foot odor is a crime now?" He joked.

"Are these the shoes you wore yesterday?"

"Yeah, so?"

"We found a fresh evergreen pine needle stuck to the bottom of the left shoe. This indicates you were in the forest recently. By recently, we mean yesterday."

"So what? I go in the woods all the time. We all do. That's nothing."

Bayne had no reason to be into the forest yesterday. If he went to town like he said, he had no reason to go that direction.  It was the opposite way from the closest town. My doubt grew, was he capable of killing her? Could my father be right? I looked at him. I couldn't tell if he was being honest, and it scared me.