Chapter 10

Ben

The plan is for the three of us to spend our first night at Jocelyn's house. I don't have a house key, a minor inconvenience I forgot to ask her for although I'm sure my credit card would pry the door open without issue. Leona is bringing Jocelyn soon. I avoid my phone and the hundreds of messages and email filling my inbox.

If only I hadn't overheard that entire scene with her father. I had been approaching her hospital room and they could be heard arguing. But to hear her voice when she spoke of giving up her dream to be a golfer lingers in my mind. She gave up everything that I get to enjoy. I hate that for her. I would hate that for anyone walking away with nothing but a long-time commitment with no payout, but for her in particular. She deserves something good in this life and clearly her father isn't helping her achieve any of that. That conversation said so much about her and her father. No wonder she didn't want to take his call that day.

Ignoring the massive amount of Amazon boxes on the porch, I take a seat on the front steps and make a new list of words to try for the Cryptex. The list is long. My guesses are random. August, Bikini, Summer, Ladies, Bitter. IHateU. None of Jack's favorite things have six letters. I'm about ready to hurl my phone across the front yard when I stop myself. "I'm sorry, Jack. I'm sorry you weren't here for the birth."

Finally, a car engine rumbles. My head snaps up. They're here. I get to my feet.

It's not like I expect a welcome committee, but Leona takes one look at the porch and shoves her sunglasses up her head. "Were you waiting for us to get here to do something about all that." She circles her key at the boxes.

"I didn't have a key," I say innocently.

"Like you couldn't just try the front door?"

A horrified glance at Jocelyn. "You don't lock your front door?"

"Most of the time I do." She makes her way to the passenger side and busies herself with getting out a carrier with Noelle tucked inside.

"Do you have any idea what could happen to you?" Neither Jocelyn or Leona seem shocked at my outrage.

Leona takes the baby carrier. "We're not in California, sweetie," she patronizes him. "Ben, make yourself useful. Bring all those boxes inside." 

"We're kidding you know," Jocelyn says with an infuriating grin. "I always lock my doors but you don't have to worry about groupies breaking in."

I bring the boxes inside but both women stay out of my way. Leona thinks I'm going to stay for a few nights to see Jack's child and that I will be taking her home soon. Jocelyn did come up with a good story about how the doctor thought it would be best if mother and baby were together for a couple weeks.

This isn't the time to bring up the fact that I have plans at the resort. A retired golfer who held the ranks as the number one player in the world lives nearby and we are getting together. I also need to get my luggage from the hotel and 'officially' move into this place, which stifles an already annoyed breath.

Sitting on the couch and checking my phone helps pass the time. Mia's sent me photos of her in lingerie. Footsteps pound down the steps. I shove my phone in my pocket.

"We need to open all the boxes and unpack the items," Leona says. "We've got to wash the clothes, the bottles, everything. There's so much work to do. If I see you on your phone again I'm going to chuck it into the forest."

I get to my feet. "I can't stay long. Can I speak with Jocelyn?"

"Sure. She's in her bedroom. Might want to knock before you enter. It's the furthest room away from the stairs."