third year-chapter three

"W—what?" I woke up from someone slapping my face. I looked around where I was laying. There were lanterns above me and the lights were back on.

The last thing I remembered was glass breaking, but there was no shattered glass to be seen.

From beside me, Harry was stirring, apparently he had fainted too.

"Are you both okay?" Ron asked nervously, glancing at both of us as if we were ticking time bombs.

"What was that thing? Who screamed?" Harry said, looking quickly around the compartment.

"No one screamed." Ron said, if possible looking more nervous.

"Who yelled no? Why was there newspaper, and what glass shattering? I heard someone banging their fist on wood."

"Y/N, I have no clue what you're talking about." Hermione said, looking utterly bewildered.

"But we heard something—" Harry said motioning between the both of us.

A loud snap made us all jump. Professor Lupin was breaking an enormous slab of chocolate into pieces. When he looked at Harry, I noticed a very glum expression on his face, almost like my mum after I had gotten my wand in Ollivander's, though years ago I still remembered her face. When Lupin looked at me his expression changed drastically, like he was filled with euphoria.

"Here," he said to me and Harry, handing us large pieces of chocolate. "Eat it. It'll help."

We took the chocolate but didn't eat it.

"What was that thing?" Harry asked Lupin.

"A dementor," said the professor, who was now handing chocolate to everyone else. "One of the dementors of Azkaban."

We all stared at him as he crumpled the metallic wrapper into his pocket.

"Eat," he repeated. "It'll help. I need to speak to the driver, excuse me. . ."

He strolled past Harry and I before disappearing into the corridor.

"Are you sure you're okay, Harry, Y/N?" said Hermione watching us with concern written all over her face.

"I don't get it. . . . What happened?" said Harry, wiping more sweat off his forehead. I grabbed his hand once more.

"Well —- that thing —- the dementor —- stood there and looked around (I mean, I think it did, I couldn't see its face) —- and you both —- you both"

"I thought you guys were having a fit or something," said Ron. who still looked scared. "You went sort of rigid and fell out of your seat and started twitching. You too, Y/N, you stopped twitching sooner than Harry —"

"And Professor Lupin stepped over you both, and walked toward the dementor, and pulled out his wand," said Hermione, "and he said, 'None of us is hiding Sirius Black under our cloaks. Go.' But the dementor didn't move, so Lupin muttered something, and a silvery thing shot out of his wand at it, and it turned around and sort of glided away. . . . ."

"It was horrible." said Neville, in a higher voice than usual.

"Did you all feel how cold it got when it came in?" Xavier asked, he was looking at me as if were my fault that I fainted.

"I felt weird," said Ron, shifting his shoulders uncomfortably. "Like I'd never be cheerful again. . . ."

Ginny, who was huddled in her corner looking nearly as bad as Harry and I felt, gave a small sob; Hermione went over and put a comforting arm around her. I frowned, 'Did she faint too?'