Chapter 10

Gregorio unnerved me and I was someone who tried to see the best in everyone. I hated how judgemental people could be, so I always tried to fight my human nature of judgement. Instead I focused on seeing the good qualities, in each person. I tried to see the good in Gregorio and what he said and I came to the conclusion that maybe he was a little lonely. He probably stayed in that mansion all by himself with no friends, because he didn’t seem like the kind of person who had friends. So I would be his friend because clearly that is what he was trying to ask, he just didn’t know how because he’s so antisocial. 

I smiled to myself, now everything made sense. He just wanted some company and I would help bring him out of his shell and of course, teach him that he can’t go around telling people especially women that they’re his; because people aren’t property. But before I can do any of that, I decided to call his sister, the lady whose name I still don’t know. She was the one who introduced Gregorio and I, so maybe she could help me. I didn’t have her contact details but Gregorio had left his men in charge of making sure I was safe, is the conclusion that I’ve graced myself with. 

After I left his mansion in a Cadillac Escalade, with four men in suits inside the car with me, I had asked them very kindly to call his sister for me and ask that I see her as soon as she’s available. I didn’t think that they would actually listen but it was worth the shot. The men didn’t say anything to me the rest of the day as I sat in my store and walked around, watering my plants and trimming them as best as I could. I hummed to Melanie Martinez and waited for customers. I thought it was going to be a slow day like it always is but my shop was booming with clients. 

I barely had time to sit down because every single minute a new client was walking into my store and purchasing bouquets or plants to decorate their homes with. I was the happiest I’ve ever been and I made a lot of money because when each of my clients made a purchase, not a single individual wanted their change back. I tried to give it to them but they looked at me with fright and left, even though they gave me hundreds of dollars. There was a male client who bought two bouquets of flowers and tossed his entire wallet at me and left the store. Even when I tried running after him to give him back his wallet, I was stopped by Gregorio’s men who didn’t allow me to leave the store. 

“Oh my…it’s empty,” I squeaked in surprise as I looked around my flower shop that was empty for the first time since I’ve ever moved here and I’m definitely sure it was empty for the first time since it’s come into existence. A huge smile spread across my face at my accomplishment before my eyesight began to get blurry. “Daisy would be so happy right now, if she were here,” I excitedly moved around the empty store, looking for my side bag so that I could look for a supplier and get new flowers and plants. 

I cleared the register of the thick cash that couldn’t even fit inside and was now piled on the counter and neatly folded all the money that I made and was about to put it in my side bag until one of the men opened up a briefcase and packed my money inside. “Thank you,” I said earnestly as I looked up from the counter with the idea that I was going to clean the shop when I saw that Gregorio’s men had beat me to it. They were sweeping the sand dirtied floor and wiping all the tables that I had used to display my plants and flowers. “You guys are lifesavers, I’m going to buy you gifts,” I said with a smile as I grabbed a feather duster and began to dust off the shelves. 

A male’s hand pressed on my wrist and stopped me from doing anymore and I looked up to be met with one of Gregorio’s men. He shook his head at me and easily took the duster from my hands, “I can’t make you do all the work. I really don’t mind cleaning up.” I tried to argue with him but he wasn’t listening to me. I sighed and folded my arms under my breasts as I leaned on one leg. 

As I looked around the store, my eyes went to the front of the store where I saw a black limo drive up. Gregorio’s men seemed to be aware as well and one of the men who was standing guard at the door outstretched his hand in my direction, as though telling me that the car was my ride. “But what about you guys? I thought you were supposed to stay with me?” I asked the men who I had gotten familiar with. I didn’t know their names and they didn’t talk to me or anyone, they just stood guard and when I stood to do something one of them was next to me and doing the task for me. 

I placed my hand in his because I already knew that they wouldn’t answer me. The door of the limo was held open for me by a chauffeur who was an older Italian man who wore a black suit with white gloves. He tipped his hat for me and gave me a nod before Gregorio’s man helped me inside the limo. He didn’t slide into the car like I thought he would, he just stood outside and I watched the chauffeur close the door. 

“You called for me,” I heard a familiar female Italian voice break through the silence and my heart skipped a beat in surprise because I thought I was alone in the limo. I looked opposite me and there she was, Gregorio’s sister and she looked beautiful like she always does. Today she wore a light grey suit with a red tie, the cut of the suit wasn’t the kind of suit meant for women but for men and she made it look good. 

“Oh, hey…uh…what’s your name?” I asked, realising that I couldn’t just talk to her without getting her name and today, I wouldn’t let it go. She would have to tell me her name because I won’t let her get away with it. 

“Giustina Bianchi, Gregorio’s older sister by 10 months,” she replied in detail and it felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. It had been eating me up inside that I didn’t know the name of my biggest client and I had tried to put some kind of name to her face but I couldn’t think of one that would suit such a person. 

“You have such a pretty name,” I told her with a smile and she just looked at me. 

“Not a lot of people find my name to be pretty…they find it to be more of a curse or a threat.”

I frowned, “that’s not really nice…” 

“I tried to be available as soon as possible since I got the call that you wanted to see me. I had important business throughout the day and this was the only time. Are you hungry? I’m sure you are. I have a lovely chef at my home and we can sit and discuss. You want to talk about Gregorio, sì?” 

“Well, yes, I do. I just want to know a little bit more about him,” I answered her, not really wanting to discuss right now about what happened with him. I was just going to ask about any possible mental conditions but I would ask in a way that wouldn’t be insulting. I wouldn’t tell her what he said or did because I wouldn’t want to make a big deal out of it. 

“Why not just talk to Gregorio?” her accent was thick and her voice was one that wasn’t too gentle but I guess I was used to her already so I knew that I wouldn’t find any emotion in her voice. 

“Well, because it would be better to talk to you so that I can get a better understanding of him from someone else. He’s not really the conversing type, to be honest.”

“With Gregorio, what you see is what you get, but I’ll answer your questions. After all, we are going to be spending a lot of time together.”

“Really? You want to be friends?” I asked with a huge grin on my face because I can’t believe that a woman like her would want to be friends with a woman like me. It was exciting, my first friend, ever. 

She cracked a smile, a small one, “of course, Marigold Sunshine…we’ll be the best of friends.”