Chapter 5

Back in Marinette's POV

Marinette looked at herself in the mirror. Her dark blue hair was pulled into a donut bun. She was in a black dress with spaghetti straps attached to it, and had her skates cleaned for this competition. It was big. It would be the first time she'd be competing with Adrien as her partner. She stood up and sat next to Adrien, fiddling with her thumbs. He looked over to her.

"You're nervous." he said. She nodded in confirmation.

"I am too." he said. Before Marinette knew what Adrien was doing, he grabbed her by the elbow and led her to the snackbar.

"Two pretzels, and two things of cheese sauce." he ordered. Marinette looked at Adrien, startled.

"Adrien, I can't eat that right now, not in my dress-" she started.

"Marinette, I eat these before every competition. They help with nerves." he said. The pretzels came. After a few bites, Marinette turned to Adrien.

"Adrien Agreste, this is the shittiest thing I've ever had" she laughed. He laughed too.

"I know, right?! But they always make you lose focus on your nerves, even if just for a second." he laughed. "My mom always ate them, before a competition. I think she genuinely liked them!" They were both in hysterics by now. Marinette felt close to tears, she was laughing so hard. When, all of a sudden-

"ADRIKINSS!!!"

Marinette groaned, as she and Adrien turned to see Marinette's rival-Chloe Bourgeouis. She wrapped her arms around Adrien's neck.

"Oh my gosh, I've missed you! It's been soo long." she said. Adrien looked deeply uncomfortable. "Of course there's the fact that you'll be competing against me-you'd probably even win if your partner wasn't so clumsy."

Ever since third grade, Marinette and Chloe were always competing with each other. Whatever one struggled with, the other could do perfectly. They were always pitted against each other.

Adrien grabbed Marinette's arm.

"We need to get going, Chloe, nice to see you."

"Bye, Adrikins!!!!!!"

"And now, representing Miraculous Ice, Adrien Agreste, and Marinette Dupain-Cheng-known by her fans as Ladybug!"

Cheers escalated from across the rink. They skated over to the center, and did their beginning position. Marinette took a deep breath. This was it.

They finished well. They had one minor slip up, where Marinette's foot almost slipped out of Adrien's grip, but other than that, their routine had been beautiful. They ran to the kiss and cry and were thrilled to hear that they were currently in first. A few more routines came, none of which threatened them. But then-

"Please welcome to the ice, representing the Bourgeouis Ice Academy, Le Chien Kim, and Chloe Bourgeouis!"

They performed a lyrical piece. Although Marinette hated to admit it...they were good. When they went to the kiss and cry-they took Adrien and Marinette's spot.