5

The King provided everything you would need for a journey of this kind. You were given some of the fastest and strongest horses in the land that would be able to move quickly while still carrying the other supplies you would need. You were given a stock of food - mostly greens and things you wouldn't be able to find out in the wilderness. Your bow was given to the royal weaponsmith and refurbished until it looked almost new and your quiver was stocked with only the best arrows. 

Brigand and Arlow received the same treatment, and together you were easily the strongest members of the guard in that moment. It was a little unreal, being outfitted with all the finest tools and gear, but you knew you would need them for the task ahead. 

You stood before the king now, outside the castle at the south gate. It was a bit of a sending off ceremony - with most of the court and guard gathered. Of course, the most of them didn't know the true task you were being sent on. Their spirits were still high, however, as you knelt before the king, Arlow to your right and Brigand to your left. 

King Etienne smiled down at the three of you. "Godspeed, heroes." He said. "I wish you all the best fortune on your travels."

Arlow rose then, and you followed their lead, Brigand standing as well. Your eyes scanned over the gathered court members and guards - most of their eyes were on you and your partners. Your nerves thrummed under the weight of their stares; a little anxious, but mostly excited. Let them look now and catalog your face for when you returned with the egg. 

"Ah, there they are."

The King turned slightly, looking behind him. You followed his gaze to see Deirdre and Tarquin flanking Ranboo. They each had an arm wound through one of his, and to the common eye, it would simply seem as if they were leading him along. You knew those grips would be iron though - they were making sure he wouldn't get away. 

Not that he looked like he was trying to escape - his head was still hung so that his hair covered his eyes and he watched the ground as he walked. When they reached the king, they stopped, and Deirdre and Tarquin let go of Ranboo so they could bow to the king. He smiled, turning back to face the three of you.

"I have one more favor to ask of one of you." Etienne said.

"Anything, your Majesty." Brigand said, nodding his head.

The king smiled, and gestured to Deirdre. She reached into one of the pockets of her robes and pulled out a long thin chain, with a cuff on either end. Quickly, she clipped one of the cuffs to Ranboo's wrist and handed the other to the king. He took it gently, holding it for you to see. 

"If our thief is to help you on your journey, we will have to make sure he doesn't teleport away." The king said. 

You glanced at Arlow and Brigand beside you - he was going to cuff Ranboo to one of you. Your eyes darted down to the axe on Brigand's hip, and the sword strapped across Arlow's back. 

"I'll do it." You said, holding out your wrist. 

Arlow's eyes darted to you. "You don't have to-"

"It makes sense." You said, gesturing to the weapon they carried. "You and Brigand both have melee weapons, and the chain would only get in the way when you're trying to fight." You nodded to the bow slung on your shoulder. "I'm ranged, I won't have to worry too much about tripping over it."

Arlow pursed their lips, but Brigand nodded, casting his ice blue eyes down on you. "Very wise." He said. 

You barely knew him, and the praise was only two words, but it made you smile as the king closed the cuff around your wrist. It snapped closed with a click and the king pressed the key into your hand. 

"Keep this safe." He said. You nodded solemnly, tucking the key into the inner pocket of your traveling cloak.

"One more gift, before you go." Tarquin said, stepping forward in unison with Deirdre. For a moment, they disappeared, purple wisps of magic hovering in the air, but then they were back, arms piled with green swirling orbs. Eyes of Ender, to find the stronghold.

"Twelve in total." Deirdre said, dropping four into Brigands hands. 

"Four for each of you." Tarquin finished, giving four to Arlow. 

You took the remaining two from each of the twins, quickly stowing them in your satchel. The orbs were strangely cold, and the pupils followed you as you carefully tucked them away. You could barely feel the weight in your satchel, but you knew they were there. 

The twins stepped back to stand beside the king, and he raised his hand, this time addressing his farewell so that the whole crowd could hear him. "Good travels, my champions!"

The crowd cheered and you bowed one last time before turning to your horse, mounting it quickly. Arlow and Brigand did the same, starting out the gate of the castle. 

"Ranboo." You called to him, tugging on the chain that connected you. He picked his head up, walking forward until he stood next to you. "C'mon. You can sit behind me."

He hesitated then, but you tugged on the chain again and he mounted the horse, settling in behind you - careful not to touch you. You rolled your eyes at that - he was going to fall off once you started moving if he kept up with that nonsense. 

Still you eased the horse forward, after Arlow and Brigand who hovered at the mouth of the gate waiting for you. Sure enough, with the first jolt of movement, Ranboo slid forward, holding onto the back of your cloak. 

You smiled to yourself a little, and started forward, catching up to Arlow and Brigand. The sun was high in the sky, and the crowd was cheering behind you - the perfect way to start an adventure.