🔪 Chapter 5: Starting Point (UPDATED)

Updated on: 12/10/2023

Aurora's POV

Tomorrow is the orientation and today is the last day for other people to settle in their dorm rooms.

I took my medicine earlier and now  Heather and I are just chilling and we check our schedules.

"Do you have any classes with a teacher named Miss Jane Olive?" Heather asked.

"She's handling two classes - Physical Education and Psychology," I said.

"I only have Physical Education with her. In the morning." Heather groaned.

"Well, I have Psychology class with her," I said. "Can you believe it? She handles both Physical Education and Psychology."

"How about a teacher named Mr. Owen Sawyer?"

"Social Science?" I asked.

Her face lit up. "Finally, we have a class together. Afternoon, first period after lunch?"

"Yes. Afternoon, first period after lunch. That also means we can have lunch together."

"See, we're meant to be best friends. These schedules though. Very different from high school. Not too flexible though. Some people have to take two different subjects at the same time."

"I know. That's college for you."

"And I'm bored now," Heather said, putting her schedule away. "I'll start planning what to wear for orientation tomorrow."

"The first impression matters to you now?"

"That was high school. We basically spent four years in the same building with people we know already. This is different. We don't know other people. So might as well, make a good impression."

"Based on the way we dressed and how we look?"

"Hey, I just want to look good and dress nice." She said.

I stand up and look out from the window. "I may not see much from this site but the campus looks more... friendly than Richwood. Don't you think?"

"Hmm... maybe. Can you help pick an outfit for me please?"

I shake my head and let out a small laugh before walking towards her.

Then I felt a vibration coming from the pocket of my jacket. I pulled it out and I received a video chat request from Toby.

"It's Toby," I said. "Oh, I forgot to call them yesterday."

"Well, pick it up," Heather said.

I answer the call and Toby's face starts to appear on the screen.

"Hey, sis. Mom told me to video chat with you." He said.

"Hey Toby, are Mom and Mr. Anderson there?"

"Yep." He moved his phone, showing Mom and Mr. Anderson sitting at the table, eating breakfast.

"Hi, sweetie." Mom said, waving.

"Hi Mom, Mr. Anderson. Sorry for not calling you guys yesterday. I guess we got excited settling in the dorm room."

"It's fine sweetie. Who's your roommate?"

"It's me, Mrs. Anderson," Heather said, waving at the screen.

"Well, hello to you too Heather." Mom said. "How's Wood Creek University?"

"So far, so good. Tomorrow's the orientation anyway."

"Okay, we won't take much of your time now. Stay safe, both of you, and study well. And Aurora, don't forget to take your medicine."

"I took one earlier. Okay Mom, I'll visit soon. Love you."

"Love you too sweetie. See you soon." They waved and Toby ended the video chat.

"Maybe, you could ask Toby to give me those safety things," Heather said.

"Then I'll tell him that those things will be your Christmas presents."

"Deal." Heather laughed.

Steven's POV

I found myself looking at the ceiling and listening to the same song over and over.

I couldn't help but think of my small encounter with Aurora yesterday. She even smiled at me.

Thank God, she didn't recognize me at all.

Well, I do look different after all four damn years.

She grew up so much. Looking more beautiful than ever.

I can't stop thinking about it. Four goddamn years of searching for her. And yesterday, she just stepped right into the doorstep of the store.

"Thinking about Little Aurora again, aren't you?"

"Ugh, you again?"

"Wake up Steven. You're talking to yourself."

"I'm talking to you obviously."

"Cause I am you. I am what you call - the little voice in your head."

"Exactly. Now go away."

"Whatever. I'll leave you alone with your little fantasies of Aurora."

I let out a sigh. I get off the bed and walk towards a wall - covered by a white cloth. I think it's time to remove it. I tighten my grip on the white cloth but then...

'KNOCK, KNOCK'

I turn my attention to the door and let go of the cloth.

'KNOCK, KNOCK'

I let out a sigh and walked towards the door. I opened the door and I came face to face with Mr. Creed.

"Hello, Mr. Creed. Can I help you with anything?"

"Do you mind if you could turn down the music a bit, Seth?"

"Oh, of course. Sorry about that again." I said.

"It's fine. I also have some leftover pasta and I couldn't let it go to waste. So here you go." He said, handing a container with the leftover pasta inside.

"Thanks, Mr.Creed. Have a nice day."

"You too." I close the door and wipe the fake smile off my face.

"Annoying old man. Like my pathetic father." I mumbled. I put the container down on the kitchen table and I walk back to the white cloth.

I grab the cloth and pull it down. I let the white cloth fall to the ground and I admire my work of art.

Just a collection of photos of Aurora. I'll find a way to get closer to her to add more photos of her to my collection.

I caress one of the close-up shots I have of her and pretend that it's the real Aurora.

"Soon, my love. We'll be together again. Just you wait. Just you fucking wait."

I have felt like I've been losing my mind.

I guess I have.

All because of her.

I'm addicted to her.

Updated on: 12/10/2023