Chapter 20

Isabelle's POV

"Let's stop here and rest before we head back."

We had been hiking for hours talking and losing track of time, the sun was starting to go down and I knew I was going to hear about this when we got back.

"Thank you. My back is killing me."

Liz said as she took her bag off and sat down on a rock in front of the tree.

"What all is in your bag?"

Chanel asked as she sat down and pulled some trail mix out of her bag.

"Everything we could possibly need medically wise."

She smiled. I raised a brow at her as sat down in front of the tree we were using as shade  and leaned back against it.

"Everything?"

I asked. Kelly chuckled.

"Trust me. I made half the medicine in there, including something for if you get bit by anything poisonous."

Kelly said causing us to chuckle.

"Why do we need medicine for that?"

Chanel asked.

"You never know what could happen."

Liz said with a smile. I laughed at her before looking around and noticing how dark it was getting. With a sigh I slipped my sun glasses into my bag and stood up.

"We need to go before the boys have a cow."

I said as looking at all of them. They sighed and followed my lead, Kelly's face turned to look of worry. I raised a brow at her as we started walking back through the woods, we all stayed silent as we continued to walk. Suddenly Kelly stopped walking causing Liz to run into her back.

"What's wrong?"

Liz grumbled.

"I heard something."

Kelly said looking around.

"It was probably a squirrel."

Chanel said and continued walking, but suddenly I heard loud foot steps behind us. Everyone else must have heard it too because they froze as well, fear started to pump through my veins as I very slowly turned around.

I gasped as I saw a 6ft tall creature that looked to be made out of plants, the creature wore overalls, a mask over his face, and he had a tall pitch fork in his hand.

Screams echoed behind me as I started taking steps backwards, my instincts took over then I quickly turned back to the others to see them white faced and shaking.

"Run!"

I yelled pushing them to run. They took off without hesitation, the only sounds we could hear now was the pounding of our feet and the sounds of our heavy breathing. As we weaved in and out of the trees there was a gasp and the sound of leaves and twinges breaking.

"Elizabeth!"

Kelly yelled and stopped running. We all gathered around what looked to a slight incline that Liz had fallen all the way down. The three of us quickly and carefully made our way down to her, I was thankful that she was still conscious and didn't look to be too badly hurt.

"My ankle is sprained."

Liz said trying to move it but was barley about to lift it.

"Kelly can you wrap it up?"

I asked looking around us.

"I think so. What is that thing?"

Kelly asked grabbing Liz bag that had fallen off of her.

"The creep."

Chanel whispered. Suddenly a very deep voice called out through the woods.

"Isabelle where are you?"

I cringed, my heart stopping.

"He knows my name."

I muttered to myself and noticed that the others were looking at me. They didn't say anything though, to afraid to give off our location.

"Isabelle if you don't come out I will still find you and I will kill those little friends of yours."

He's voice sounded closer than before. I looked at the others to see them shaking their heads, doing what I knew I had to do I started making my way back up the hill.

"Don't Isabelle."

Chanel said grabbing my arm. I looked at her for a moment before taking a deep breath and pulling my arm back.

"Help Kelly with Liz. Get out of here and get help. That's an order."

Before she could say anything I made my way back to the top. Once to the top I started running, leaving my bag by a tree. My feet thumped across the dry ground as I weaved in and out of trees on some path I hadn't seen before. I wasn't for sure how long I had been running, and I wasn't really for sure where my attacker was at.

But I knew I had to take a break, I found a big tree close by and hid behind it.

Slumping my body up against it and tried to calm my breathing. Sweat was dripping off my for head, my hair was falling from its braid. Very carefully I looked around the side of the tree and let out a sigh of relief when I didn't see anything, but that was cut short when a huge arm slipped around my neck.

"I could smell you from a mile away."

His deep voice sounded in my ear causing me to freak out.his arm tightened around my neck cutting off my breathing slowly. I tried clawing at his arm but that when I noticed something that caused me to panic  spread even further. His plant arm was now a human arm.

"Revenge tends to hurt the innocent."

He voice echoed in my ears as darkness consumed me.