18

"I really want to thank you for this... so often its just me and the boy. I love him but he is no substitute for my mate." Carter tells me as we stand around the kitchen counter watching Emily play with little Desmond in the living room.

"He's not meant to be... he is your son and no one can replace your mate. Love him and be a good dad. No one can be a substitute for her but that boy will always love you... who knows maybe you will find someone to love again not as a replacement but as an addition to the love you have for her. You are young you can't stay locked up forever." I tell him.

"I guess... it's hard man. I never expected to be a dad and now I got ta do it on my own. It's stressful and I don't know how to deal. I actually started training Dez. You know kids are more capable than we give them credit for. Being with him helps me not think of her." He confesses.

"Dude Desmond is three. I'm not trying to tell you how to parent but isn't that a little young to train?" I ask. I know he is hurting and I suggested him spending time with the boy but I meant age appropriate bonding.

"He is strong for his age. He will be a great warrior. It's not like I push him to hard just basic stuff and he enjoys it." Carter shrugs.

"Alright man just be careful with the little guy. He is a pup to no matter how strong he is." I end the conversation. As long as the pup isn't hurt I guess its none of my business.

"Dadddy! Emmlee say she gonna haves a baby soon!" Desmond yells as he runs in.

"I heard pup." Carter laughs.

"She be my fwend?" The pup asks.

"I'm sure she will be." I tell him. "But we don't know if it is a girl or boy yet."

"Giwel I'm sures of it." The little guy nods before running back to my mate.

"So you nervous?" Carter asks.

"I never thought I'd have kids. In fact I promised myself I wouldn't... but with Emily I can't think of anything better. Honestly I hope the boy is right. I want a little princess. A boy would be to much like me. I'd ruin him. I'd do better with a little version of Meme to spoil." I answer.

"Well it is rumored that my family has psychic powers so maybe Dez is right." He laughs as the timer dings for dinner.

"It's been too long since we've seen each other Carter. You need to come around more." Emily says as we eat.

"Without Faith I kinda just like being with Dez. Sorry to have been so distant its just you were her friend..." Carter responds.

"I know but you still need people Carter. We're here for you." Emily tells him and I nod.

"Thanks... I'll keep it in mind."

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

"So that was nice. I didn't even know you were friends with Carter until today. Its funny how things work out." I say as I help with the dishes.

"Yea... I was more friends with Faith. Carter gives me the creeps to be honest. I don't know why but he always has." Emily responds and I'm shocked.

"But you seemed to like him. You were so nice." I say.

"I still want to look out for him but more for Desmond's sake. Its the least I can do for Faith." She shrugs.

"Well I won't invite him over again without your say so... but honestly I think you're wrong. He's been the nicest guy to me and that kid loves him." I tell her.

"It's just a feeling and I didn't say he was a bad guy and I know you said he is an excellent fighter... I can't explain it so let's drop it. Maybe its just me missing my friend." She says and I nod.