Chapter 8

Ray P.O.V

This wasn't so hard, but I knew this all too well. Once something got too easy, it was going to get hard. The next plant was farther than the first one. The good thing was that there weren't any distractions on the way, besides Emma begging me to let her rest. It was nightfall when we reached the plant. However, we weren't ready for what we saw. "We're going to miss you so much Amy!" a little girl exclaimed with tears in her eyes. "Yeah, you better reach out to us in your new home." a young boy said. The girl who I think was Amy smiled sadly but followed her mother. We stared for a while until we saw the two heading our way. We quickly ran into the nearby forest and hid. "We're too late," Emma muttered a little shaken. Gilda put a hand on her shoulder and whispered, "It's ok Emma, we can't do much now. We need to focus on what we can do." We walked away from the scene in front of us. "Do you think we should save the other kids now then?" Don questioned. "No! If we do that then Avery and Liam would be caught when they come this way to save the kids! " Emma answered with worry in her voice. Don slowly nodded, not completely convinced, but he didn't say anything else. I just stared at Emma in awe. "What?" Emma asked. "You actually used your brain for once!" I exclaimed. "Thank-" Emma started, but quickly glared at me, "Ray!" I started laughing, but then ran away from her when she started chasing me. "If only you had run this fast when we were trying to come here!" I screamed still laughing. I turned around to see her ready to tackle me. With luck, she was able to. We were both out of breath so we collapsed next to each other. "Truce?" Emma begged, putting her hand in front of me. "Truce." I nodded, shaking her hand. We got up and quickly walked up to see everyone sleeping. "Seriously! They weren't even worried about us! We were gone for so long! " Emma screamed. "Shh! We were only gone for 15 minutes! They were probably tired! " I hissed. I got into the tent Norman and I were sharing and sat down. Norman was half asleep, "Ray?" he muttered. I looked at him, "Hmmm?" He didn't say anything, just pulled me down on top of him. "Norman! I'm going to be cold! " I whispered. He pulled me into a hug, "I'll keep you warm, happy?" 

I woke up the next morning, still in Norman's arms. Sitting up, I waited for my eyes to adjust to my surroundings. I grabbed my watch and checked the time. 7 a.m. Everyone was still asleep so I got out of the tent and grabbed a small breakfast. The forest here looked a little different from the forest in Gracefield. I didn't like being back in this area. I just felt like someone was following us the whole way. That feeling came when we first escaped. When we reached the other side of the wall, I felt as if someone was watching us. I was hoping whatever it was would leave, but it didn't. I was brought out of my thoughts when Emma called my name. I turned to look at her, but instead of seeing her usual bright and happy face, I saw her frowning for the first time. "Hey Emma, are you okay?" I asked, confused. "Oh hey, Ray! I'm fine, really! It's not like I didn't watch another kid get shipped, and when you talk about someone following us. Not to mention that I didn't get any sleep all night because Gilda wanted to read so she had the flashlight on all night! How did you sleep? " She answered sarcastically. Did I think out loud? "Oh, I slept fine..." I shrugged. "Good for you!" Emma screeched. "Woah! Calm down, Emma. " I sighed. "Sorry... I just wish we could've saved that girl." she smiled sadly. "I know Emma, but we couldn't risk getting caught. You did a brave thing last night. " I said, smiling. "I did?" she asked. "Mhm, old you would've jumped right in to save the other kids." I nodded. She smiled, "Old you would've smirked instead of smiling!" Huh, am I really smiling instead of my usual smirk? I felt my cheeks burn. Emma seemed to notice this, "Not that it's a bad thing! You should smile more often. Norman would love it!" "Emma!" I screamed. She started laughing uncontrollably until Norman came up from behind us, "I would like what?" Emma smirked at me while I stared at her menacingly. "Good morning Norman! I was just telling Ray that he should smile in front of you more often! " Emma replied. "Is that so? I wouldn't mind that." Norman chuckled whilst looking at me. "Get lost you, idiots!" I yelled. 

We got lost in our childish arguing so we didn't notice the other two get up until Don told us all to shut up. We finally left after packing everything up. I'm pretty sure Emma forgot about me thinking out loud. I was thankful for that but if she does remember, then I hope she doesn't bring it up. We only made it a little way when it suddenly started raining. "You're kidding!" Gilda muttered. Out of everyone thing we packed, none of us even thought about rain. "There's a cave over there!" Don said, pointing to the right. We looked to where he was pointing and sure enough, there was a cave. The cave had a big rock next to it. We did think much of it, we just ran to the cave and quickly sat down. "Umm guys! The wind just picked up!" Gilda screamed. She was right, the wind was so strong. That huge rock on the side blocked the entrance. "God no!" I yelled. We all tried to move the rock but it wouldn't budge. The wind was too strong! We sat back down for a few minutes before Norman suggested, "What if we go further into the cave to see if we can find an exit from there? If not we can always come back." We had nothing to lose being in this situation so we all agreed. Plus, that weird feeling of someone watching us disappeared. I just hope we're the only live things in here.

Sorry I took so long to update!