Chapter 11

Emma P.O.V

 When I found the boys, Norman was complaining about the older kids. They are way harder to convince than the younger ones. "The kid just looked me up and down and said I looked like an old man!" Norman exaggerated. Ray sighed, but I saw a small smile tug at his lips. "Oh please, the kids just said you looked old. Now quit complaining!" Ray stated. Norman rolled his eyes but stopped nonetheless. "So how are we going to persuade the other kids?" I asked. There was a long pause before Norman spoke up, "We could try to trick the kids." I thought for a moment, "That could work, but how would we distract the adults?" We both looked towards Ray who had a smug look on his face. "What?" Norman questioned.

"We could always start another fire," Ray suggested. "No!" Norman and I both screamed while Ray started laughing. Phil just stared at us with confusion. "Any other ideas?" Norman asked while glaring at Ray. "I'll be the distraction," Ray said. "How?" I asked. "I have no idea!" Ray responded. Norman sighed, "Emma, Phil, and I will try to trick the other kids while you figure out what you're going to do." Ray nodded and decided to go to a different part of the building. Norman and I decided to bribe the kids with random things from the outside world. 

Ray P.O.V

How was I going to distract the adults? "Well for starters you can stop thinking out loud." a voice said. I swiftly turned around to see a boy, he looked around 10 or 11. Was I seriously thinking out loud again! "Who are you?" I asked. "You can call me Miles. I believe you're Ray," he said smiling. "Ok, how do you know my name!" I questioned. "I was spying on you and your friends. By the way, you should tell the other two that the whole orphanage already knows about the demons, besides the kids under 3," he answered. "How did you guys found out?" I inquired. "Well, my friends and I stayed up past our bedtime and ran out of our rooms. We were just playing around when we heard a voice come from the wall. I'm sure you know about the secret compartment." he said. I nodded and Miles continued, "We accidentally activated it. We heard the entire conversation that our mom was having with someone on the other side. We told a few other people and they started helping us. When Phil came, we knew you some of you guys had escaped." That made a lot of sense.

"I can get the other kids to listen to you, but you have to tell me your plan." I thought about it for a minute, "Fine, but I'm not telling Norman and Emma that the kids don't need to be bribed." Miles chuckled, "You are so evil."

I explained the whole plan to him. Surprisingly, he was calm the whole time. "You should meet my friends," Miles suggested after I was done explaining the plan. "Sure," I shrugged. He led me to a small group of kids. "Guys, this Ray. Ray, the girl with light pink hair is Lizzie, the boy with blue hair is Ky, and the twins are Tristan and Kristan." Ky looked at me, "You're the kid who was with the old guy!" I laughed, "Oh yea, I was."

A few minutes later Norman and Emma came running with a bunch of kids trailing behind them. Norman looked at Ky, "Listen to us and we'll give anything you want." "No thanks," Ky responded. "I'll give you money!" Norman argued. Ky thought about it, "No. Let me call you old man." Norman looked like he was about to blow a fuse. "Deal!" Emma smiled. I have to say, the kid did look a lot happier.

Miles started explaining what his friends had to do. They would have to gather food and other items before we planned to leave tonight. We had about 3 hours before we had to go. I had 3 hours to start my plan.

*30 minutes remaining before the escape*

I watched Miles as he talked to one of the adults. From where I was standing the only words I could hear was, "An unfamiliar kid is in the orphanage. There I see him!" He smiled at me and watched as I ran away. I don't know if these adults are dumb or something, but I don't think all three should be chasing me. I ran a little farther only to realize a dead end. "We caught you!" one of the adults said. 

You're kidding me, right? 

Norman P.O.V

"Does everyone have what they need?" I asked the group of kids standing in front of me. After hearing a series of yes, Miles came running through the door. "Guys, hurry up! Ray's plan has already started," All the kids started running out the doors. What was Ray's plan? He didn't tell me or Emma. We made it into the forest faster than expected. "Hold on! We have to wait for Ray!" Emma said, immediately stopping. Miles shook his head, "This was Ray's plan. He said he would meet us at that cave you guys were talking about." My eyes widened, "What!" Miles shrugged, "He said he didn't want to tell you guys because you would say it was too risky." "That's cause it is!" Emma shrieked. She wasn't wrong. "Just trust him. If Ray thinks he can do it, then he can." Miles pointed out. 

"Let's keep going!" I shouted. Everyone followed, we made it multiple miles away from the orphanage. Some of the little kids were already tired. Emma was now holding Phil, Miles was holding Sherry, and a few more little kids were being held too. We can't keep up like this. If the kids can't run, the older kids will get tired. Miles was already getting tired. I took Sherry from him and watched as he instantly relaxed. There has to be a faster way!

I took out the map and studied it. Was this the only way to go? "How about this way?" Miles suggested pointing at the small river on the map. "That's a river though," I replied. "Yea, but we could find a way to cross it. It would take less time as well," he argued. I looked at it again. Miles wasn't wrong. It would be a lot faster, but how would we cross it. I sighed, "Let's cross the river, but let me leave a note for Ray so he'll know which way we went."