Chapter 10

Norman P.O.V

We were all tense, I could tell that Ray and Emma were both extremely nervous. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't either. There were so many problems we hadn't discussed, but we all knew about them. What would we do if we get caught? We didn't come up with an escape plan, nor do we know what to expect when we get caught.

"Earth to Norman," Ray said, snapping me out of my imagination. "Yea?" I questioned. "Your boyfriend was asking if you were okay! You stopped walking so he thought something was wrong," Emma answered smirking. "Emma!" Ray hissed, his face turning bright red. I covered my face as a blush started to creep up. "What! I saw you two kiss, just get together now!" She shrieked. Ray hit her on the head to get her to shut up.

Do I want to get together with Ray? Yea, I do. I know Ray likes me. I mean he kissed me! The problem was if we were ready. I don't want to hurt Ray. Especially after everything he did for me and everyone else. He spent more than half of his life planning for us to escape. The thing that bothered me was how Ray kept everything hidden. He always kept to himself ever since we were young. He didn't talk to many people. I think the only person he was close with besides Emma and I was a boy named Rio. When Rio got "adopted," Ray was 8. He kept himself locked away and didn't want anyone to talk to him. I can't imagine watching our family get shipped off while everyone thinks they're going to a safe place. I want to help Ray. I want to get him to be comfortable with his feelings, but I can't do that without full trust. Ray trusts me, but not fully. I want him to trust me with everything and the good thing is that I just might have a plan to do that.

"How much longer till we reach the last orphanage?" I asked Ray. "Not much longer, I say about 30 minutes," he answered

We were all getting tired. We hadn't taken any breaks. All of us were anxious about our arrival. It was nearing nightfall and there was no way we would be able to help the other kids tonight.

I heard Ray sigh as we stood in front of the final orphanage. He didn't look too good, but it could just be from his hurt ankle. "We should rest now" Emma suggested. Ray and I nodded while following her farther into the forest.

We all started taking out the leftover food. Emma and I started eating, but Ray just stared out into space. I nudged him to get his attention. He quickly turned towards me confused. I handed him the food we had brought, thankful it didn't go bad. He glanced at it before shakily grabbing it. Emma and I watched Ray as he slowly ate the food, both concerned because of the way he was acting. 

Ray wasn't intent on telling me or Emma what was wrong. We didn't push it, I'd let Ray keep it to himself until we completed our goal. The night passed quickly, the first thing the three of us did was make a plan to sneak inside the orphanage.

*Time skip to after the plan was made*

We decided to split up since we didn't know how many kids there would be. There had to be at least 30, possibly more. Emma entered from the back, I entered from the front, and Ray entered from the right side (Idk how many doors are at the orphanages, there's probably more...). Of course, it wasn't easy. Since we escaped, the security had upgraded. There were more caretakers and cameras. I never thought security measures would reach cameras, but I think the cameras were only at the door. One of us had to find Phil, and that was only if he hasn't been shipped. 

Emma P.O.V

I was trying hard to not get caught. There were only a few kids in the hallways, but there weren't many hiding spots. Right now, I was hiding behind a big plant. Probably no the but hiding spot, but a hiding spot nonetheless. I was about to get out, but I saw two adults walking in my direction. I made myself as small as possible, the adults walked around the corner slowly disappearing from my sight. "Emma!" someone excitedly whisper yelled. I turned my head to see a little tan-skinned boy staring at me in shock. "Phil!" I happily shouted, jumping up and almost knocking over the plant. I tackled the little boy with a hug. It hadn't been that long since I last saw him, but I only now realized how much I missed him.

"Are you here to save us?" Phil asked. I nodded, "Norman and Ray are with me as well. I need your help convincing the other kids here." He shook his head understandingly. "But first I need to tell you something. Ray and Norman like each other!" I whisper yelled. "Emma!" I heard someone scream. Whoops! I turned around to see an embarrassed Ray walking towards me. "What? It's the truth," I exclaimed. Phil looked like he was about to burst into laughter. "What's the truth?" Norman asked, coming from around the corner. Ray was a blushing mess, "Nothing!" At this point, Phil and I were both laughing, and Norman was very confused.

After we calmed down, we separated again to work on our plan. This time, Norman and Ray went together, and Phil and I went together. "We can convince Sherry first!" Sherry's name rang through my ears. I nodded at Phil before following him through the quiet halls.

We walked a little farther until I saw a little girl. It was Sherry. "Hi, Sherry!" Phil smiled. She said hi back. I stood and watched the two kids talk. Phil explained everything and she believed him. Was it that easy to convince little kids? We managed to convince a few more kids before meeting up with Norman and Ray.