Chapter 2 | Set up

"Hey (y/n), are you and Minamoto-senpai dating?" a group of girls ask, walking up to my desk. Not this again. "Don't worry, we're not. He is my distant cousin and my parents recently passed so I'm living at their house temporarily." At least that is partially true.

The girls' faces filled with joy. "Is that so? Well that is ama- I mean, I'm sorry for your loss (y/n). Thank you so much and have a good day!" The girls rush away chatting happily.

The girls (and boys because everybody loves Teru) in the school have been extra on edge ever since I came to school. I was always walking to school with Teru Minamoto and we're extremely friendly in the hallways. So, as expected, a rumour started that the two of you were dating. And naturally you and him both denied it and shared the same story.

Distant cousins, my parents passed, blah blah blah. It was honestly so annoying. I get asked that question at least 10 times per day. The students apparently want to hear the story from me and Teru ourselves because rumors are not always accurate.

I sigh as I gather my belongings. "(Y/n)!" I smile at the sound of the voice. "Hey Yashiro, what's up!" I say. "You know how it's my mom's birthday? Well I need to go straight home today because of it and I forgot to tell Hanako! Can you tell him?"

Not even a single mention of Kou.

"Of course! Whatever you say!" I reply with a smile. "Thank you so much! I'll see you tomorrow!" she bids, running out of the classroom. I wave as she goes.

I can see why Hanako will want to protect a girl like her. So kind and innocent. Cute girl. I pull out my cell phone and text Kou.

Hey Kou! Yashiro is not going to stay after school today to clean bathrooms because of her mother's birthday. You should go straight home as well. I have something I need to do after school and I'll tell Hanako that you and Yashiro are off duty today. Also I am REALLY craving curry. May you please make some? Thank you so much! :)

I stick my phone back in my pocket.

Hey Teru. - me

Hey! What's up. - Teru

Do you have a student council meeting today? - me

Yeah, why? - Teru

I'm about to go have a talk with Hanako. Alone. - me

Would you like me to come? - Teru

And have a 100 meter radius around me filled with nothing but people? No thank you. I just want you to stay near. - me

Can I at least listen in on the conversation? - Teru

You know I can't let you do that. I have to use my powers responsibly, not abuse them. - me

Fineeeeeee. But thought message me if anything happens. I'll protect you. - Teru

Thanks Teru, I knew I could count on you! - me

Anytime. - Teru

I pause for a moment. Teru might just actually come in handy.

Actually I do have a favor to ask. And you just might like it. - me

I smile as I approach the girls bathroom. I peek my head inside. Nothing.

Do I have to summon this kid or- "BOO!!" "AHHHHHHHHHHHH" I scream and fall on my butt. Hanako crouches besides me. "You're not Yashiro." he pouts.

I roll my eyes. "Thank god I'm not! I can see the headlines already: School wonder LITERALLY scares first year girl to death!" This time Hanako rolls his eyes. "Where is Yashiro?"

"Gee you make Kou sound like a real third wheel." I say sarcastically. Hanako gives me a 'Isn't that exactly what he is' look.

My god.

"Yashiro's mother is having her birthday today so Yashiro is going straight home. Kou is going straight home too. He's making me curry." I say standing up. Hanako crosses his arms. "Some assistant. She couldn't even bother to tell me that herself!" he complains.

"Says you." I scoff. "I don't like this attitude." Hanako says as he floats around my head. I shrug. "By the way, how do you stand the smell of this place? It is a public restroom after all."

"Watch this!" Hanako floats over to the wall and goes right through it. "Pretty cool huh?" he says as half of his body is inside the building, and half of it is outside. "Yeah but doesn't that get old?" I ask.

"Maaaaaaaayyyyyyybeeeeee?" I sigh at his immaturity. "Well just don't kill yourself k? I'm just here to tell you that Kou and Yashiro are off duty today. I'm gonna go."

"And leave little old me all alone? You cruel creature!" Hanako whines. "What do you want? Cupcakes?" Hanako flutters his eyes at me. "Oh whatever." I say in defeat.

"Yipeeee!" he shouts. "Yeah yeah just stay out of trouble. And meet me in the school garden. I am NOT eating cupcakes in the same place where people dumb their waste." I say. "Okay!"

I walk out of the bathroom. He was onto me. He knew I wasn't exactly who I was pretending to be. That there was much more to me than meets the eye. And he is correct. But it's ok. I plan on telling him everything anyways.

I'm getting cupcakes. He's going to meet me in the garden. Prepare yourself. - me

This is going to be fun. - Teru

Yeah yeah sleepy head. - me

Time skip!

I could feel it. Hanako's presence was threatening to disappear at any moment. Teru was not going easy on him. I quickly rush over to the garden.

Teru stood in the lightning cage with Hanako. Hanako was on his butt, backed into a shed. Hakujoudai was nowhere to be seen. I watched as Teru grabbed his katana and stabbed Hanako right in the abdomen.

Wait, that wasn't part of the plan! What is he doing? "Say goodbye evil spirit!" he shouts. I gape at the two. No. My eyes filled with terror when I realized something.

Teru was serious. He wanted to use this opportunity to exorcise Hanako for real.