Chapter 21: Martyr

Ava, Ren thought, looking at her with hope, knowing that she had backup

"You will never stop being the sidekick, will you?" Andrea asked, directing the question towards Ava.

"Is that all you can ever say?" Ava asked, inching toward Andrea.

"Since you are the smart one," Andrea began "you know that you are outnumbered. Just accept the deal I just made to Ren."

"What deal?" Ava asked, her eyebrows perking up with interest.

"Back off. Forget about revenge and I'll ask these demons to leave." Andrea said.

"I'm not falling for that. These demons want her dead and  you can't stop them because you are weaker." Ava said.

"But this way, you live while only Ren dies." Andrea stated coldly.

I am not going to be the martyr, Ren told herself, trying to find a way to say no and not offend Ava.

"This conclusion was made, assuming that we have no choice?" A voice half questioned. It was Sebastian. Ren turned her neck to the side, looking for him but he wasn't there.

Ava grabbed Ren's wrist, dragging her to the other side of the room like she knew what she was doing.

There is a dead end in this direction!, Ren exclaimed, realising that she wasn't actually speaking.

Ren knew all too well that there was no path on this side. Her legs dragged her to that direction. She knew she could trust Ava's judgement. Ava halted in front of the door, motioning Ren to go through.

It's a portal isn't it?, she thought, running through the wall, with someone walking right after her. The wall behind her emitted a loud, explosion-like sound, indicating that the portal had closed.

...............................................

"You are such a genius!" Ava exclaimed, slapping Sebastian on the back.

"How did you guys know?" Ren asked, looking at Ava with gratefulness.

"We kind of just figured things out together" Ava said smiling.

"Don't smile just yet, they still know where she is." Sebastian said, expressionless as usual.

"I was smiling because you weren't as annoying and useless as I thought you were." Ava said.

"Ren, why don't you hide somewhere while me and Ava see what's happening?" Sebastian said, his eyes ordering her to leave them alone.

He could have just asked me to leave, Ren thought, inwardly rolling her eyes at him.

She walked away from them, knowing it was best to look like herself again. Running with her present body was one of the hardest she had ever done.

"What?" Ava asked, raising her eyebrows.