Chapter 24: Selfish 'til the End

As her unbeating heart fell to the ground, all the demons fell

The heart that didn't want to stop beating.

The art of persuasion was all it took to change the mind of someone as stubborn as her.

And even though it wasn't what she wanted, she knew she had found peace.

She wasn't alone.

..............................................

"Ren." she heard a voice in her head call out to her. It was the voice of a woman she had learnt to see as a friend, the woman who loved her unconditionally for as long as she could remembered.

"Bethany?" she whispered, unsure. After all, there was no way someone like her would ever get the honor of being with someone as pure as her.

She turned around to face the faint voice, her eyes almost tearing up with joy after seeing her.

"I hope I didn't disappoint you." was all Ren could say.

"You could never."

..............................................

"Where is Ren?" Ava asked, her eyes filled with worry.

"She met her destiny." Sebastian said, looking at the ceiling fan spin in a clockwise rotation, his mind pondering over the same thing over and over again- had he done the right thing?

"What do you mean?" Ava asked, refusing to believe what she had just heard.

"She's dead. And so are the demons." he said.

"How long did you know that she would do this?" Ava asked, her heart skipping a beat as she imagined Ren's carcass, all alone, with no one to reassure her, no one to tell her that she was loved.

"From the moment she decided that she wanted to do it." he said as he tried to maintain eye contact with her. He knew he could never look someone in the eye if they ever talked about this. There was always going to be a part of him that felt guilty for what he had made her do.

It had to be done,  was something he tried telling himself.

"Why didn't you stop her?" Ava asked, her voice cracking as a huge lump formed on her throat.

"I was the one who gave her the idea." he said, before he could change his mind. He was not going to make her think that he had nothing to do with her decision. 

"Why would you do that?" Ava asked, her heart sinking at the fact he would do such a thing.

"Neither of us deserved it." he said.

"She didn't either." she spat back.

"I just wanted to live, and you do too. It's rather we all die or just her." he said, trying to convince her and himself in the process.

"I thought you cared about her." she said

"She got what she wanted, and I thought you deserved to too. I guess you don't."

A part of her knew he was right. It knew that she'd rather have someone else die instead of her. Admitting it was like letting the world know that she was selfish.

"You know, everyone is going to remain selfish 'til the end." Sebastian said, breaking her free from her thoughts.

"She has been my friend for the longest time-" Ava began.

"It's time to say goodbye." he said.

She just stood there, staring at the ground below her. 

"She died knowing that we cared about her." Sebastian confirmed as she let out a sigh of relief.

"I love her, I really do. It just feels as if all the chains that held me back have finally set me free." Ava breathed out. It was the last weight that held her back, the fact that she didn't tell anyone how she really felt.

"And she loved you. Maybe it's for the better." he said, looking at Ava, wanting to know how she would react.

"Maybe." she said as she looked up into the sky, the place she was always told that heaven was situated. 

"I hope she is in a good place."

..............................................

A life without Ren. She had no idea how it was going to be. It hurt and there were times she just wanted to yell at him for persuading her into doing what she did.

But then, she'd look into his eyes to see that it hurt him too, and that he had only wanted them to get what they always wanted.

"Those teachers think I'm some kind of genius." Ava stated.

"Are you?" Sebastian asked, not wanting to admit it.

"You know I am." she said, nudging his shoulder.

"Not smarter than me, I bet." he said, giggling along with her.

It had been months since they talked about Ren. It would be like adding salts to their wounds. Ava decided that she wanted to rebirth, to start over. 

And that was all she needed. She finally focused on what she wanted, rather than someone else. She has found a friend who didn't want anything from her, he just did his thing.

Her heavy spirit was lifted as she found herself.

..............................................

"Can the perfect revenge really be found? Can you really rejoice the pain you put someone through? Even if you can, will the universe let you?

It's always going to be hidden until one day, it's finally lost by your side."

Author's Note: I finally finished my first book!! This is legit the first book I have actually finished without any sequel or anything!! I can't believe this. Y'all stayed for so long, and I luv ya. I can't believe i finished it, seriously!! I would post a chapter separately for this but i want a perfect 25 posts cuz it so satisfying to look at 😍. I really hope you all loved this book. I will obviously be writing another one so look out for that.

Anyway, it's been a glorious ride. And my greatest honor.

Ig we won't meet here next thursday 😢. Huma_Sebastian  WAT3RM3LL   thorns_or_roses   SamEl145 thank you so much u guys constantly kept commenting and stuff like srsly, ur the best. (If i missed some names, dont be offended lol imma add it her when i realize) 

That's it then. Byeeeeeeeeeeeee

 Byeeeeeeeeeeeee