Chapter 14: Choice

Ava stepped out of the portal, her body soaking wet

Ava stepped out of the portal, her body soaking wet. Every step she took left a blob of water behind her. Her heart raced. Half of her wanted to rush over to her real parents and spend time with them. But the other half wanted to look around. Sure it wasn't a hard decision but this was the first time Ava had ever been anywhere other than Edinburgh.

New Orleans was known for keeping many tourists. There was a restaurant in almost every corner she turned. It was that moment when adrenaline coursed through her veins. She felt their presence come closer to her. She turned her head, left and right looking for her parents. She had cast a little tracking spell which helped her feel their presence. It wasn't that powerful since she didn't have anything that belonged to them.

Just as she was going to run forward, looking for them she felt a hand on her shoulder. Her heart thumped beating faster than ever. She turned around to see a blonde woman, who looked like she was in her early twenties.  She had the palest of blue eyes and the quote 'looks can be deceiving' fit her better than any shirt she wore. On the outside, she looked sweet and welcoming. If only people knew that things weren't always how they seemed.

Next to her, a man stood with his head held high. There was nothing special about him. Just by looking at him, it was obvious that he was overshadowed by Andrea.

'Looks like Ren took after Andrea' Ava thought as she sighed. None of this mattered right now. She was finally where she belonged.

"Mom" she whispered as she tried to become louder. She was overwhelmed by the whole situation but all in a good way.

"Ava" Blair said as she realised that he was still here. Before she could decide who se wanted to hug first, Andrea wrapped her arms around Ava's torso. Ava's body stiffened. It was weird, getting hugged by someone she just met. She didn't want to let her guard down so easy but there was something about Andrea, the way she held her. It felt familiar and before she knew it, she was melting into Andrea's arms with a smile on her face.

........................................................

Andrea and Blair had taken her home, where she quickly took a shower and dried herself from portal water. It didn't smell like much but that was until she went into it. She stepped into her 'new bedroom' to see a neatly ironed, plaid, green dress. That really wasn't her style. She always had this thought that plaids were for old woman who couldn't care less about what they wore.

Still, she put it on because she was too lazy to find something in her bag. Besides it would have gotten wet anyway so what was the point?

She walked around in the hallway touching the walls nearby with a whole amount of annoyance from the fact that the dress she wore had no pockets. She stopped walking when she came near a white door. It's handle looked clean; like it hadn't been touched in a while. Ava touched the handle and instantly regretted it. It felt a lot like Ren. This Ren's room.