Chapter 2: What is She?

"Ren, have your food" A woman from the shelter called out

"Ren, have your food" A woman from the shelter called out. A week had passed since she came to the shelter. She was all alone, with no one to keep her company. She remembered her room in New Orleans. The walls were painted red and there were a few photographs with her and her parents. She didn't take any of those photos with her. She wanted nothing to do with them.
Her room in the shelter was nothing like her old room. It was all white and nothing really stood out in it. The room wasn't really her scene but she was grateful that they had taken her in. She took a quick shower and put on her pj's. That's all she wore for the past few days. She hadn't even washed her pj's. Her once long flowing dark brown hair was trimmed into a bob. This was her own decision. She remembered begging her parents for a bob cut but they refused, reminding her that she was a 'girl'. She walked down the stairs and looked into other rooms. Everybody had someone else in their room. A roommate. There were an odd number of children here so she was all alone. She knew she was lucky in a way but all she wanted was to talk to someone. To tell them how she felt.

She sat down at a corner table with a bowl of soup. Someone pulled up a chair next to her. Ren was overjoyed! She thought someone came to give her company. She looked up and saw the woman who showed her to her room a weak ago.

"Oh. Hey." Ren said awkwardly.

"Were you expecting someone else?" She asked

"Not really" Ren replied, bitterness in her tone.

"I haven't introduced myself. I am Bethany Brown. You can call me Bethany" "Thank you, for everything." Ren said politely. "No need to thank me. I have to tell you this. You are a young girl. You still need a good education. We don't have a school in The shelter. As You can see there are not many children here. We are just a shelter, not an orphanage" Bethany said.

"I understand that." Ren said

"That does not mean we do not want you all to get a good education. A few parents, if they are alive that is provide their kids with some money. But in your case, we don't really know anything about you. We would like to ask you a few questions" Bethany concluded. "Oh" Ren said. She didn't have the right response. She didn't want to talk about her parents but she didn't want to be a burden either. Bethany noticed the anxiety one Ren's face and said "You don't have to worry. I am here for you".

................................................

Ren walked up the aisle towards her room. She wanted to be clear on a few things. She wasn't sure whether she should tell them the truth or lie. Her parents did give her a good amount of money although she wasn't sure if she should use it. She changed her clothes into a red frilly dress. She thought about how much she hated it. Her mother was a very strict person and wanted Ren dressing like a girl. She wasn't even allowed to talk to other girls her age as her mom found their clothing 'inappropriate'. It was full handed and reached till her knees. She tied her hair in a half pigtail. She tried to look good, at least for the moment. She heard somebody knock on the door. She opened the door and saw Bethany.