¤Eighteen¤

The following week

A letter....

"Dear Cousin Tom,

I am writing to inform you about your mother's health. Cousin Maura is in a fairly bad way and the doctor has asked if she might go and stay somewhere else for a while. As her son, it seems only right that she stay with you. Kieran is too far away in America, and all that travel wouldn't be good for her.

I have been caring for her these last few months. You see, your mother is a bit stressed at the moment, as well as having some slight lung problems. Fresh air and few worries is seemingly the antidote, and Downton Abbey is the best place to give her that. She would also love to see Sybbie, as would I. If she can come, I will be accompanying her, at least for the first weeks.

I hope that you can 'take us in' as such, and eagerly await a reply.

Yours sincerely,

Cousin Áine"

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Downton Abbey

Sybbie was a curious child. Unlike her cousins, she wasn't satisfied with the confines of the Nursery. She wanted a bigger world, a busier more exciting one. It was because of this, that she became such firm friends with Thomas Barrow, the under butler. He had been friendly with her mother, and liked to keep a look out on the young Lady. So, when Nanny Baxter wasn't looking, or in a good mood, Sybbie ventured downstairs to the servants hall.

Everything downstairs was much simpler and sparsely decorated. Everyone was so busy, their entire lives were dictated by the bells. As a very young child, the mysterious bell pull had mystified her. How did it work? How did the servants hear it? How did they know where to go? Thomas had explained all that to her, gesturing extravagantly as he did so. The studious butler, Mr Carson, didn't approve of Sybbie's downstairs adventures, but his wife Mrs Hughes (now Mrs Carson of course but Sybbie didn't think of her as that) was always glad to see her.

Sybbie found it strange that people as old as Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes were only married now. What were they doing for all that time? Aunt Edith wasn't as old as them, and people still thought it odd that she wasn't married yet. Sybbie was now able to say 'yet' when she spoke of her Aunt Edith's love life, as Mr Thompson the handsome American, was coming to the Abbey more and more often as of late. Thomas said that it was only a matter of time before he proposed. Miss Sybbie had heard all about her Aunt's bad luck when it came to matters of the heart. She hoped that the handsome American would make Edith happy.

Mrs Patmore was rolling out some pastry, the next time Sybbie came downstairs. She liked the cook, she always gave her extra cake. Daisy was also very nice, she let Sybbie mix some of the mixtures sometimes. Mr Moseley, Nanny Baxter's fiance, was very funny. He always managed to do something wrong, but it came right in the end. Despite his comic mistakes, Sybbie could understand why her beloved Nanny would want to marry him. Mr Goswami always smiled. He was so exotic, with his sallow skin and slightly different accent. Mrs Goswami, was okay. She used to be friends with Thomas, but not anymore. Because of this, Sybbie didn't spend time with her.

Then there was Mr and Mrs Bates. Mrs Bates was Aunt Mary's lady's maid, and used to dress Lady Sybil too. Some days, Thomas, Sybbie and Mrs Bates would sit by the fire and they would tell Sybbie stories about her mother. Everyone seemed to like her mother. Mrs Patmore even taught her how to make a cake once. Sybbie would love to make a cake, although she doubted that it would be as delicious as Mrs Patmore's ones. Downstairs life was fun. A lot more exciting than upstairs. All that Granny Cora ever did was sew and write letters. Aunt Mary at least dealt with some of the estate affairs along with Donk. Aunt Edith was the editor of a magazine or something, which was by far the most exciting job. She even got to meet a handsome American because of it.